Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
are salt-water angels different from FW angels? cuz that looks nothing like a FW angel...

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
here is a good site for comparing pics from the angel family...good luck!

bri

·
Registered
83 Posts
I was using www.liveaquaria.com

Angels are different because of the regions they are found in, they are built for their soundings. FW angels shape makes them harder for them to handle fast water conditions but marine are water dynamic and are designed to handle the stress of water movement.

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
That is not a coral beauty angel. I'm 99.9% sure that it's not a coral beauty angel. I'm almost sure that it's not even in the angel family. To me it looks like a damsel or a type of chromis the back fin seems to come to two points instead of one round fin which is common in the Angel family. I would need a better pic to tell. :D

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
The fish that is in your pic is either the Speckled Damsel pictured here

Or the Whitetail Damsel pictured here

I would say it looks more like the Whitetail Damsel, the 2nd picture was a little better but it your fish and you would be able to pick which one it is.

A sign of an angel fish is what I like to call it a fat upper lip. :D

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
Are you taking about the rear or the front fake eye. Like I said its not my fish and I can't see it in person. It could be a darker version of the top pic, or the bottom pic didn't develop the fake eye in the front. Each fish has his own trait. :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I cant pick which one it looks more like

it has the darker colours of the bottom one but has the markings of the top one? :roll:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
If not, a white-tailed speckled damsel.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would say you fish is definitely a damsel; could be a Stegastes Pelicieri (Mauritius Gregory) as with a lot of damsels the juveniles look differnt from the adults.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Definitely not an angel. A sure-fire way to tell if it's an angel or not is to look at the operculum. All angels have a spine pointing backwards on their gill cover. It's definitely some type of damsel, but I'm not sure what type.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Definitely not an angel, it's a damsel although many small damsels look very similar so until it gets a little larger and gets its adult coloration, it may be hard to determine it to a species.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts