Tropical Fish Keeping banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I have a 10g gallon tank running empty (no fish) for few months now. To keep it cycled I add 8 drops of pure ammonia (Old Country) every few days or when I remember. By the next day, all ammonia is gone. I don't check NO2 or NO3 but change water weekly.
Today I took a sample from this tank to make sure ammonia is 0. I added 8 drops ammonia like usual and took a sample. I added 20 drops (1 ml) "locker" Prime and took another sample. Checked ammonia in both and guess what? Same 4 ppm reading, no difference.
Locked or unlocked, ammonia is there.
Prime works for cloramines as well (often found in city water) by breaking them into ammonia and chlorine. Chlorine is then split into chloride and ammonia, well, locked into a complex for about 24-48 hours. For the amount of chloramines found in city water, 2 drops of Prime per gallon seems effective. But 4 ppm ammonia is no match for Prime at regular dose.
that is normal and expected. the problem comes when one retreats again and still has the same ammonia. Prime also locks up oxygen so eventually the fish can suffocate.

Meanwhile the locked ammonia is much safer then the free ammonia. So there is a difference. In this case prime locked up some or all the ammonia. Just the tests don't reveal that fact.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I am not aware of anybody killing fish with Prime.
I must confess to overdosing Prime by 10 times (yeah....I know) without any casualties.
"It would take a massive overdose to have any effect on the oxygen levels in the tank" according to Seachem Tech Support. Just google Prime overdose-vs-oxygen level.
There are lots of useless products in our hobby (Stability included) but I swear by Prime.
Disclosure: I don't work at Seachem

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I think they are the same but I do not use seachem prime I was using Kordon amquel +detox and seachem stabiltiy I have never used prime, yesterday dot was 0 free ammonia today dot was at alert state green0.2ppm, ammonia at 2ppm nitrite 0 and nitrate 10 ppm as per test kit I have never seen a rise in nitrite yet, not fed the fish in 24 hours and uv is off for 24

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yeah well that maybe true about prime, just want to point out your audience...... A bunch of new people....... So wouldn't it be better to explaine where ammonia comes from, and the old school methods that we use to remove it. Also should talk about filtration..... The fact is there is no "miracle" chem for the hobby.
Otherwise you have a bunch of newbs running around treating tanks with prime when they should have just cleaned it properly. Everyone misinterprets directions...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The crazy thing about this whole situation is that I have never in the past with my 29 gallon, 55 gallon, or 70 gallon every tested the water... I dechlorinated it and changed the media out from time to time and never lost the first fish when the water was dirty I changed it... Now that I have started checking the water, its like I am over complicating it, and to add to the above message I do not use prime, I have used stability, I do use kordon amquel ammonia detox and am a firm believer in it, I now it only detoxify's the ammonia and ammonia still exist. I truly believe had it now been for the kordon plus I would be floating fish, one of the replys above about feeding made me think about something, I recently had a total hip replacement and am at home now so not only am I starting this aquarium but I am also trying to speed up the growth of the fish in it, Feeding them 3 times a day sorry to tell this so late but that is my problem, uncycled tank and overfeeding creates high ammonia no nitrite and low nitrates the bacteria can not colonize fast enough to break down the waste...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yeah givin that info, gravel vac should help clear that ammonia up. Gotta get rid of the source, feed 2x a day. If you want them to grow fast its all about what you feed, live foods, bugs, frozen food packs are good too. Live plants also allow fish to grow faster with out a spike, haha all you can eat salad bar. Anything with delicate leaves that grows fast enough should be awesome fish food.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Still no change ammonia still high 0 nitrites nitrates barely showing... Things i have done 10% water change feeding very small amounts 1 time a day and also added lots of water sprite, fish are still in great shape, I also increased the water temp from 79 to 84, any more suggestions

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Still no change ammonia still high 0 nitrites nitrates barely showing... Things i have done 10% water change feeding very small amounts 1 time a day and also added lots of water sprite, fish are still in great shape, I also increased the water temp from 79 to 84, any more suggestions
Absolutely no suggestions.

Why change something that's working?

No reason to fix something that's not broke.

my .02

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Absolutely no suggestions.

Why change something that's working?

No reason to fix something that's not broke.

my .02
Thank you! I will keep trucking alone then I just never seen a rise in nitrites so i assumed something was wrong with the cycle. I will quit over reacting.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts