Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I need help, my blood parrot who is about 5 years old. She's always been small in size compared to the others and have had an issue with her swim bladder since over 3 years now. I had another of my parrot fish have this issue recently but that was a generic swimbladder disorder which healed after feeding peas and an epsom salt bath to clear the constipation and ease the muscle. My aquarium condition:

600L tank
I have an API strip and it indicated my nitrate, nitrites, ph and ammonia are in order. Never the less I recently changed majority of the water as i had to install a new sump.
The tank has a rescued shark and 5 BPs
I have had the perception that 'jumbo' has a genetic swim bladder disorder. It wasn't that visible earlier and wasn't getting bad untill recently when she started laying on her side. She'd jump up and swim if I'd feed or nudge her but for the rest of the time she'd lay down as in the picture. I feed her parrot fish pellets and Sera sprinulla pellets and the water temperature is about 27.5-28' c. Can Anyone suggest a probable remedy?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi! I would upgrade my tank to a little bigger size with proably some more fake plants that are indestrucible for the cichlids to hide but its your tank. However, this is my favorite type of fish and never have I ever seen such a disorder. You might not be able to save this one... Fish are pretty weak but can somtimes make miraculous discovery. Put her in a diffrent tank so if it's not swim bladder disease the sickness won't spread. Add extra salt, fish medicine from your local pet store, and feed it extra large shrimp pellets that sink along with its food so if it lyes on the bottom it will have just enough food to survive. Or if can hardly move at all I reccomend feeding it with chopsticks. It's a lovely fish you have and I suggest keeping it in very shallow water so there's not to much pressure. Reply to this message for more infermation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, thankyou so much for your reply.
I did think of a bigger tank but have been a little occupied with the current set up I have. Added a sump this past week and removed the canister filter. 4x2x2 seems to work for now though I'll consider your suggestion. About fake plants, I had this filled before these guys started clipping them one by one.

As far as keeing jumbo away, she is super sensitive in terms of being with these guys around. They've spent their entire childhood together, and even though the big ones seem to do fine, jumbo if kept away, she stops eating food and spits it out if I hand feed her. I did give her an epsom salt bath and have used different medicines that could've been used. This illness has been there since over 2-3 years now and it is only now that it seems have gotten worsen.

i feed her the two kinds of pellet food I give the rest of the fishes after soaking it in water in advance. I keep her in a small net separation like in the picture in the post to feed her where she is able to eat without much effort. I leave her back in the tank after that where she sinks to the bottom. Lately she's been getting slightly better touch wood
i have ordered for a new medicine I found online that is specifically for swim bladder disease. I'll be trying that and also trying to put some structures to let her take support. She usually used to take the support of one of the filters I had in the tank before.
I would really appreciate if you or anyone else could share any other method I could use to help Jumbo. I really dont like seeing her this way and it hurts me alot...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello, thankyou so much for your reply.
I did think of a bigger tank but have been a little occupied with the current set up I have. Added a sump this past week and removed the canister filter. 4x2x2 seems to work for now though I'll consider your suggestion. About fake plants, I had this filled before these guys started clipping them one by one.

As far as keeing jumbo away, she is super sensitive in terms of being with these guys
Hi guys I need help, my blood parrot who is about 5 years old. She's always been small in size compared to the others and have had an issue with her swim bladder since over 3 years now. I had another of my parrot fish have this issue recently but that was a generic swimbladder disorder which healed after feeding peas and an epsom salt bath to clear the constipation and ease the muscle. My aquarium condition:
View attachment 843953
600L tank
I have an API strip and it indicated my nitrate, nitrites, ph and ammonia are in order. Never the less I recently changed majority of the water as i had to install a new sump.
The tank has a rescued shark and 5 BPs
View attachment 843952 I have had the perception that 'jumbo' has a genetic swim bladder disorder. It wasn't that visible earlier and wasn't getting bad untill recently when she started laying on her side. She'd jump up and swim if I'd feed or nudge her but for the rest of the time she'd lay down as in the picture. I feed her parrot fish pellets and Sera sprinulla pellets and the water temperature is about 27.5-28' c. Can Anyone suggest a probable remedy?
around. They've spent their entire childhood together, and even though the big ones seem to do fine, jumbo if kept away, she stops eating food and spits it out if I hand feed her. I did give her an epsom salt bath and have used different medicines that could've been used. This illness has been there since over 2-3 years now and it is only now that it seems have gotten worsen.

i feed her the two kinds of pellet food I give the rest of the fishes after soaking it in water in advance. I keep her in a small net separation like in the picture in the post to feed her where she is able to eat without much effort. I leave her back in the tank after that where she sinks to the bottom. Lately she's been getting slightly better touch wood
i have ordered for a new medicine I found online that is specifically for swim bladder disease. I'll be trying that and also trying to put some structures to let her take support. She usually used to take the support of one of the filters I had in the tank before.
I would really appreciate if you or anyone else could share any other method I could use to help Jumbo. I really dont like seeing her this way and it hurts me alot...

Hi I would recommend nothing but peas for the fish it seriously helps with healing the swim bladder, however I’ve seen this before, recently in fact, I had a goldfish that would always float at the top and had trouble swimming, he eventually started sinking and floating sideways, he passed away 2 days later, I think of swim bladder failure. Just make sure all the water parameters are good and feed peas.and maybe some antibacterial meds that worked for my goldfish the first time, also don’t feed too much just every other day. Good luck 😎👍

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou Niko. I have got a new medicine specially created for the swim bladder disorder today. Gonna go through the ingredients once hopefully its not just epsom salt mixed in water. The rest peas became an issue as this little one doesn't eat them instead spits them out instantly. I'll try mixing peas with the general pellet and see what works. Thanks for your advice though. Have a great day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts