Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I recently purchased a 40 gallon tank. And had it completely cycled. Ammonia/nitrites at 0 and low nitrates. I knew this was important for puffer so I made sure it was all completely. I recently purchased a dragon puffer. Tank was fine but now high spike in ammonia. I tested water two days ago and there was ammonia high levels, nitrite and nitrate. ALL OF THEM. I was clearly shocked. I did a small water change. And today there’s still a ton of ammonia and no nitrites or nitrates.
Is this the proper way for things to happen? The water also got extremely cloudy.
I received puffer Friday and have fed only 1 time. So not over feeding. I plan to feed 2-3 times a week.
i just am getting nervous about water and hope I’m doing it right?
Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Easy fix, Put a whole bunch of aquatic plants in your tank. If you can't change the greavel to make it proper for plants put some floatiing plants like dock on the surface. I would also emty half the water in the tank so your puffer will survive reply to this message for more help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have so many plants in the tank already
What does emptying half the tank do?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Easy fix, Put a whole bunch of aquatic plants in your tank. If you can't change the greavel to make it proper for plants put some floatiing plants like dock on the surface. I would also emty half the water in the tank so your puffer will survive reply to this message for more help.
It’s a completely planted tank with large gravel and plant substrate

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for spam. Mods can merge if that’s doable.

How often should I be doing changes when this happens?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi again! Sorry to get back so late! Good you have lot's of plants, emyting half the tank and refilling it can reduce whatever is causing the cloudy water. If it's still cloudy somthing is probably wrong with your water source.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
How did you cycle the tank? Did you use an ammonia source? How long did it take to cycle? When was the tank first set up? What filtration is on the tank? Are you using a liquid test kit? What are the numbers for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? You may need to do daily water changes until the tank is balanced again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys.
yes to h2o changes for sure. It'll help cloudy water. But then a diatom filter will do the finish work of clearing up the water.. AccurelF will help too. 9 0ut of 10, for most of us cloudy water is too much food or someone died. Diatom filters are great at treating ich and velvet. I prefer it to using the tradional strategies - victoria or malachite green w/ acriflavine, salt, high temps, etc.
Now for the ammonia problem your quick solution - until your tank becomes fully cycled, use any zeolite filter material. I carry high population loads in some of my tanks (a one gallon old SS tank I've had since I was 8 years old has 23 fish and gets a daily 50% water change ) so I buy bulk Zeolite pads and cut them up to use even on established tanks, and I do 50% water changes at least once a week. The fresh water removes other biologics that carbon doesn't always get. I know we can't always get to water changes but fish love the fresh water..
When I owned an aquarium shop we made 50% water changes 2 - 3 times a week on most of the tanks besides topping off tanks at the end of a busy day. In between we might run a diatom filter - especially on the tank with the large cichilds. Hope that helps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts