Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
I would urge you to consider this a very serious infection, as once fin rot progresses to the body it often becomes systemic. I would treat with kanamycin (Seachem kanaplex) combined with nitrofurazone (Furan 2) OR triple sulfa (API triple sulfa).

Kanamycin can be used as a bath (it is well absorbed by the skin) or, better yet, fed as a medicated food if the fish is still eating (Seachem advocates the use of their product Focus to bind the medication to the food). Nitrofurazone is used as a bath for external infections, and triple sulfa is also used as a bath. I've always had good luck with Nitrofurazone for moderate cases of fin rot, and I do know that it combines synergistically with Kanamycin for the treatment of tough bacterial infections - it would be my first choice to combine with the Kanamycin. I do not have personal experience with triple sulfa, so that recommendation is based on purely theoretical knowledge.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Tetracyclines work well for a number of human diseases, but in my experience normal tetracycline hydrochloride has limited application for fish diseases due to its limited gram-negative activity. It is also ineffective at a pH higher than about 7.6 and in hard water. If you are going to use it, I would cover the entire tank with a dark cloth, as light inactivates tetracyclines, forming a brown precipitate.

I personally would try to locate the kanamycin and nitrofurazone. Kanamycin is sometimes hard to come by (check out this website for a list of retailers carrying Kanaplex: Seachem Dealer Locator), but nitrofurazone is sold as the brand name Furan, and is also in Jungle Fungus Clear, which is carried by most Walmarts. I personally have had better luck with the fungus clear than tetracycline, so I would try that. It is not readily absorbed, so is best used as a bath for treating external infections, but it may buy you some time (I'd still be on the lookout for kanamycin though).

·
Registered
887 Posts
I feed twice a day, and I definitely would recommend feeding this often since he is sick. I wouldn't use freeze-dried bloodworms exclusively though, as that can cause constipation. I'd stick with the betta pellets and supplement with some frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp.

·
Registered
887 Posts
You could. I usually keep mine at 80 F.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.