Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I was wondering if anyone may be able to give me some advice.
I currently have a 200L planted aquarium, it is at 25-26 degrees C (77-79 degrees F) and filtered by a Fluvel 205 external filter.

In the aquarium I currently have:
x1 Siamese fighting fish
x2 Bolivian rams
x6 Neon tetras
I am planning to get:
x5 Ghost shrimps (to be my clean up crew)

I was wondering however if the following fish would be okay for my fish tank, obviously I would not have all of the following.
I would preferably like:
x5 or 6 Glass catfish
x4 to 6 Electric blue rams
and then if room left over I was thinking maybe either
x5 or so Congo tetras or;
x5 Dwarf neon rainbowfish

Also I was wondering peoples opinions on getting:
x2 panda cory's (to assist the shrimp with cleaning or is it too hot for them as I know they prefer cooler temperatures).

All advice welcome.

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
hi
i recognise your question;-)
the glass catfish will appreciate a planted tank,and being in a group.
the corys would do better in a larger group,
i can't help any further than that sorry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Betta was previously in a cold water set up, well room temperature, it is very docile and just gets on with his own thing, he seems far happier in the warmer aquarium though.

As for the electric blue rams, as captivating as they are, I already have a pair of bolivian rams, so adding some electric blues as you said may cause a lot of fighting for territory, and I do not want my fish stressed, or worse killed by other fish.

As i live in valleys of south wales, the water is on the softer side of things so maybe Rainbowfish are not the best to have in my tank.

As corys produce mess rather than clean up I will not bother with them.

I have owned glass catfish before so think I will purchase a group of them if I see them about, also what's everyones opinions on khuli loaches? I had some before which were very active and constantly making me laugh with the charismatic personalities, however upon reading about them on forums everything I have read has said they are shy and never viewable as they are hiding, was I just lucky with my old ones or?

Also, my brother worked at the local pet shop and has asvised me that cherry shrimp will thrive a lot better in my tank than ghost shrimp due to the fact they will breed in the moss and hides whereas the ghost shrimp won't, is he right?

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
hi
hmmmm i don't see corys making mess ?? who told you that ?
they forage around for food and scraps,sifting the sand as they go,
so in my honest opinion they are nothing but a good addition to any
aquarium. The khulies according to quite a few people here are fun,
never kept them myself. i did read someones article on the internet
saying that providing leaf little on the bottom of the aquarium gives them
a sense of security which aids them in feeling unthreatened by the
other fish in the tank,which they see as predators .
hope that helps.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
Agree with Willow on cories. They're not the messy ones.

Maybe you are thinking of the common plecos? They are notorious waste producers and they get quite large in size.

Reactions: willow

·
Registered
381 Posts
cherry shrimp will be a better add than the ghost shrimp (due to ghost srimp needing brackish water and kelp to breed)

Love my electric blue rams, mine seem to leave the other chilids alone (electric blue acara's so there is a size difference)

Its all about how you introduce them, I always switch up the tank when adding chilids, 24 hours no light (not full black out though).... This makes them all think "I'm in a new tank" allowing everyone a chance to get territory. Switching up the tank (even a planted tank) is key to managing chilid aggression in my opinion. Should be able to keep rams together not a problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts