Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i want pleco's and discus! And Also I would like some inverterbrates if possible and a few small fish to keep it interesting. Also if you can also try to include specific care requirements for the fish you reccomend.

ps-also i may be able to get a bigger tank(75-100 gallon tank) depending on my job if i get hired(imma paperboy ^_^) so you can also reccomend some fish for those if you wish.

and once again thanks!

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
joeshmoe said:
nice fish to go with discus rainbow sharks, bleeding tetras,dimond tetras,and loaches
Not with the labeos, Joe.:blink: They are very aggressive and boisterous. Not even an Amazon fish.

Discus are meant to coexist only with placid small, not with those that are quite big and aggressive.
Neither are loaches from Amazon if you want Amazon. If you are considering Amazon seriously, try to do a research on some loricariids you can consider. I wouldn't consider the pictus catfish being active fish.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
joeshmoe said:
sry didnt see it was amazon but i heard albino rainbow sharks are great for discus
Where did you get that info? I'd still say no. Labeos aren't meant to be kept with discus regardless of how aggressive or tame they will be. Discus won't tolerate anything aggressive and boisterous and that's where the labeos fit in.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
since i now know it amazon i would go tetras (not the thin ones like neons) like: bleeding hearts,dimond,skirt tetras,Red Minor Serpae Tetras (these guys might be Semi-aggressive),and Congo Tetras remeber that these fish are all schooling fish. if you go with 75 or 100 gallon then angel fish would be great also Candy Stripe Pleco and snow ball plec would be great :D

joe

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think the more different variety of species you keep the more of a loss you make in terms of getting a natural feel.
I think a large specimen fish shoal such as discuss and one small species as a shoaling centre piece, something small from the tetra world, this will add sense of depth to everything in the tank.
I think anythin more and you are running into a community tank, if thats what you are after then great - but its certainly something i have moved away from- i find the fewer species you keep the fewer problems lol!

But promise us all you will post pics once you have made your purchase!
:)

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
What about cardinal tetras? These are bright, peaceful, schooling fish which require the same water and temp conditions as the discus. I know many discus breeders who keep cardinals in their discus tanks, and everyone is happy.
Also, if the idea of loaches appeals to you, check out kuhli loaches. :D

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
bettababy said:
Also, if the idea of loaches appeals to you, check out kuhli loaches. :D
Dawn! You're one of the few whom I saw mentioning kuhlis.:welldone: I kept 10 kuhlis in the same tank with 7 discus myself.:mrgreen:
to the Kuhli Loach Bandwagon.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
bettababy said:
I love the kuhli's, we have about 3 or 4 of them in our 180 gallon amazon tank.
Where are your pics?:checkedout: Would love to see the 180 gallons tank.:welldone:

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
there isn't enough space in the fish room to get a full length pic of the 180. That will have to wait until we move, which could be months yet.
Sorry... will try to capture a pic of the kuhli's, but they're hard to see becasue of the plants they like to hide under.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Congo Tetras are African. And loaches of any kind won't fit in an Amazon themed tank. It depends how truly authentic you want to be. :) Khulis prefer cooler temperatures than a Discus set up would run at (unless of course you can source some definite Acanthophthalmus semicinctus, which are often missold as Khuli Loaches.)

55 gallons is on the small side for a Discus tank in all honesty. It's the bare minimum I would recommend for keeping them. So if you do decide on Discus, keep the tank mates to a minimum. Dither fish and perhaps a few Cories (choose a species which is happy at Discus temperatures) for the lower regions of the tank.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well i love cardinals, and i didnt want to name a species but as everyone else has now, so shall i.
Cardinals are ofen kep with discuss because they are a peaceful shoaling fish and help calm discuss if your tank can only support a small number.

In terms of the suitability of the size of tank for your discuss this all depends on how many you keep and what size they are.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.