Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had aquariums all my life (50 yrs). They have always been 50 gals or less. But...I am now trying to start up a freshwater 130 gal tank. I currently have 6-7 Danios, Dojo loach, 2 Black Skirt Tetras, albino pleco, couple platys. I want to put in about another 30-50 fish and I want some that grow rather large but no cichlids or neons.

I heard there was a compatibility chart in this site somewhere but I can't find it. Can someone tell me where it is or tell me what fish to get? I love striped or colorful fish (who doesn't, right?).

Thank you so very much!!!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Welcome to the site, on the compatibility chart I saw one years ago but not sure where.

As I'm sure you know most of the big fish are going to be cichlids so taking those out it limits the options, but they would eat the fish you already have so fully understand. You do have a few options

Clown Loaches, never keep them but I have read you need to have 5-6 because they school but in a 130g shouldn't be a issue.
Silver Dollars again need a school of 4+ I do have a group of these are they are cool fish
Gourami I have 2 full size ones, not a huge fish but do well in community tanks
Bala Shark again not a real shark but cool I want to keep these guys but keep putting it off.
Rainbow fish lot of different types and sizes
Rainbow shark again not real sharks

Looking at the list I think I want a shark for my tank. They would be cool just to find the right tank to put them in.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Rainbows are fantastic, but typically expensive so they aren't always an option for people. Silver dollars are really cool too - I have 10 of them in my 125.

I don't think 30-50 more fish in unreasonable at all. More dojo loaches would be high on my list - they are very social and enjoy the company of their own kind.

There are some gentile giants for cichlids - chocolate cichlid and severums will not bother your other fish. Red severums are in my avatar pic.

In a large tank like that, you have options like the larger barb species, scissor tail rasboras, roseline sharks, etc.

Aqadvisor is a site that is a good tool for you to check out - way better than any compatibility chart. However, it's just a tool to point you in the right direction so once you've played with that, come back and we can talk about it. Information is great and all, but useless if you can't apply it to real world situations :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You

WOW thank you so much for the great advice! I was thinking Dojo's, Silvers Dollars and Bala's so that is what I will do. I will definitely check out the rainbows and cichlids that were mentioned.

Again,

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
WOW thank you so much for the great advice! I was thinking Dojo's, Silvers Dollars and Bala's so that is what I will do. I will definitely check out the rainbows and cichlids that were mentioned.

Again,
Jay has some good info for sure.

Good luck with picking the fish and be sure to share some photos.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I only built on your good suggestions :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts