Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
I would want at least 90 gallons for two oscars, or better with a 125 for the oscars plus a group of 5-7 pictus catfish to clean up their scraps.
Good luck!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Just my opinion, but I think you'll be ok with the pleco in a 100. Just be aware that he will get huge... bigger than the oscars possibly. I've seen plecos 2' long that must have weighed at least 10 pounds, but for a 100 gal with good filtration, might be ok

·
Registered
840 Posts
I have a 75 gal with a large male jd and pictus cats. There is also a small female convict cichlid in the tank. There is no aggression except at feeding time as the fish compete to see who can hog down the most food. I was surprised by how aggressive the pictus cats become at feeding time. They will pull food out of the jds mouth if the piece of food is too large for him to immediatly engulf. Far from becoming a meal, they definitely hold their own in the tank, to the extent of actually being the aggressors. Amazingly, everyone leaves the little convict alone.
I love the pictus cats because not only are they attractive fish- bright silver with bold black spots-but they also do a wonderful job keeping the tank clean of food scraps. They are some of the most active fish possible and never rest; constantly probing every inch of the tank. For a big tank, I highly recommend pictus catfish as cleaners. I wouldn't keep them in anything less than a 4' tank because they are very hyperactive and athletic swimmers that need considerable open space. They are not very large fish, but they have lots and lots of attitude and energy, and they are armed with very sharp spines to fend off big fish that might try to eat them. I guess a very large and hungry oscar might TRY to eat a pictus, but I seriously doubt that he would be successful!

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts