Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought two plants yesterday and I forgot to write down their names. Rookie mistake! (I'm a n00b, can you tell? lol)

Can anyone tell me if these are Moneywort/Java Fern? Many thanks! <3

(ten points if you spot my three fish! lol :lol: )

Edit: Now I'm thinking they kinda look like Ludwigia/Dwarf Sword? Oh geez, I'm so confused!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
The leaf shape does vaguely resemble ludwigia. does it have any red on it?
if not it also looks a bit like green hedge, a non aquatic plant.
you may need to do some googling and compare search results with your plant :3

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not a whole lot of red... but the stems seem to be greenish-brown... I can see how it could turn to red when the plant matures a bit. Thanks! :)

And it's an aquatic plant, so I know it's not hedge. :)

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
The stem plant could well by Moneywort, or Bacopa monnieri to give it the scientific name. Photo attached.

The other is not likely Java Fern, nor a sword (Echinodorus sp). The leaf/stem structure does not match either, in the photo. Can you give us more photos, or description of the roots/stem?

Byron.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Just to put this out there, some stores sell "aquatic" plants that aren't really aquatic at all. Petsmart/Petco are notorious for doing that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The stem plant could well by Moneywort, or Bacopa monnieri to give it the scientific name. Photo attached.
The leave on my plant aren't as rounded as the ones in the picture... and They're not "bunched" the same way on the stem... They're growing in pairs along the stem, but not in groups... if that makes sense?

The other is not likely Java Fern, nor a sword (Echinodorus sp). The leaf/stem structure does not match either, in the photo. Can you give us more photos, or description of the roots/stem?
The roots are in little ceramic rings... They're short and stringy. I wanted to uproot them and show you, but the algae eaters won't leave them and I don't want to disturb them. I figure I've stressed them enough adding everything in the other day. :)

Just to put this out there, some stores sell "aquatic" plants that aren't really aquatic at all. Petsmart/Petco are notorious for doing that.
I don't know those stores... Any relation to Pets Unlimited? :oops: They're aquatic plant selection is actually quite nice. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
the one in the middle is definately ludwigia. It is one of my favorite plants, kinda hard to get started/rooted but once you do, they are a very beautiful edition to any tank. The one on the right looks to be some type of sword. I almost wanna say it could be a java fern but my java fern is much more "spindly" on the leaves, if thats even a word....

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
I would agree with Ludwigia, now that I have more info. Check the profile (click the shaded names for profiles).

The other plant is most likely a terrestrial, and probably Spathiphyllum wallisii, common name Peace Lily. This plant will apparently last submersed for many months, sometimes even years, according to Peter Hiscock. But not always, so keep an eye on it; if it starts rotting, pull it out.

A true sword, like Echinodorus amazonicus, would do well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like that middle plant you have it might some sort of ludwigia, although the leaves look slightly different of minw

1 - 13 of 13 Posts