Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because of my fondness for mystery snails - a friend recently gave me her "sick" blue mystery snail with the hopes of me being able to help - however, I have never seen anything like this before and need some help figuring out what to do/what is going on!

From my understanding, she had this snail for about 3 months and it had been active and healthy until about a week ago. According to her, the snail remained upside down and inside its shell in the same spot on the bottom of the tank for about 5 days. Her tank is a 10 gallon with two mollies - who are pretty aggressive and liked to "annoy the snail".

I have now had her snail in my 1.5 gallon (I didn't want to put her in my 10 gallon in the case that she has something contagious) for the last 3 days. She stayed on the bottom in the same position for the first night - but yesterday started to come out of her shell a bit - but seemed to not be able to turn herself right side up - she even ate part of an algae wafer upside down. Today she was still seeming to struggle to turn herself over, so I helped her and put her right-side-up on the gravel and near the glass. She has now climed up to the top of the tank and I can see what the problem is - I just don't know it means. Her foot looks like it has been eroding, or a chunk has been pulled off, or it is some sort of fungus. I sent this picture to my friend and she told me that her foot did not look like this the last time that she saw it (about 8-10 days ago). I have been doing research all day, but have not been able to figure out what is going on.

Has anyone experienced something like this? Any advice?
Thanks so much!

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
I can see what definitely appears to be damage to the top, like his foot had been bitten.

As for the bottom and the white, I'm not really sure. I would hazard a likely guess that his foot has been injured in some way. As for the white, I have no idea if that is fungal, or just slime. Snails will slime when there is something in the water that irritates them. I am unsure if they will slime when injured. (think of slime coat for fish).

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. I have no experience treating an injured apple.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for replying! It's difficult to tell by the photo, but the white part does not look like slime - it looks more like a chunck of her foot is missing or is actually decaying. The white part is so shriveled up that she can't even use it to move around - it doesn't touch the glass when she is stuck to it either. I'm still very perplexed as to what is going on - poor thing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hmmm that is odd... I have one that has been in the same spot for a couple of days and has just poked its head out every now and then. I will certainly be checking it tomorrow. It too has stayed on its back during this time. Will get a pic and put it up if there is anything damage wise to the foot causing the ceasing of movement recently
hopefully Mabel comes good!

Meg.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 5 of 5 Posts