Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.... I was browsing through my tank this morning, and out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw a small worm or something wriggling around in some plants near the surface in the corner of my tank! I moved back a leaf, and there was a little baby fish! I have no idea where he came from or how long he had been hiding in there! I only have 2 Livebearers in the tank, and I thought they were both female Balloon Belly Mollies. The other fish in the tank are Zebra Danios, Cherry Barbs, and Albino Cory Cats. I have had this tank set up for just under 2 months... Any idea where this little guy could have come from? I was already running late for work, so I couldn't check the rest of the tank very well, but it did not look like there were any more hiding in there. I have a few plants, but they are all small and not very thick at all. Any ideas?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next question... Would he be alright if I moved him into a small half gallon tank?
I do not have a heater or filter to it, nor do I have the money to get one right now.. [In the process of saving for a wedding I'm paying for myself, and have already been spending way too much money on fish stuff since I got into the hobby the last 2 months lol :) ].
I have a small 1/2 gallon plastic tank I can keep him in for now until he gets large enough to not be eaten. Would that be okay as long as I stay up on the water changes? I figured he would have a better chance surviving that than in a tank full of fish ( including his parents) that want to eat him for a snack!

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
i don't fancy his chances in an unfiltered and un heated tank,
to save money perhaps either make some hiding places that can
be made easily,or if he's just the one,let nature take its course ?
a think a good thick bunch of plant would be enough.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got home, and during my water change, found another fry! So currently there are two of them hiding Mong the plants. White balloon belly is MUCH smaller now so I have to believe it was her.

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
hi
you're very welcome,i'm glad i could offer a little help.
aww congrats on finding another.
just a thought....could you make a hidden area out of plants ?
i did this some time back,and made it dense enough that the bigger fish
were unable to get through.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yeah or you can go out and get a cheap flower pot with a hole in the bottom, as long as you size the hole right it should make a nice fry cave

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I'm a little late on that so let me see if I understand what has happened.

You started a tank with plants and live bearers in this case mollies.

they when observing the tank you noticed 1 or 2 baby fish in the plants?

Correct?

If so there is a highly technical term for this surprising, odd ball thingie with my bad spelling.

It is called.

hold it

Normal.

the babies hid out in the plants and the plants also give the fry food.

Do nothing but observe nature in action. You will wind up with healthy fry by natural selection.

(FWIW I have had platy or guppy tanks with extremely heavy populations last for years and years. Like 8-10 years from the original fish)

So congratulations.

and my .02

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Thanks everybody for the help!
Exciting stuff, I am getting more and more into this every day!!!

Fiance is not so pleased... :)
You should see children when they discover babies also.

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
there's not many of us who's better halves are into fish keeping,
your blessed if they are,to a blissful life,and doomed to a painful life of scratching around and deviancy if they are not. :-( :lol:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
there's not many of us who's better halves are into fish keeping,
your blessed if they are,to a blissful life,and doomed to a painful life of scratching around and deviancy if they are not. :-( :lol:
My first hobby is flying model airplanes which I still do to some extent.

try to get a wife who understands a hubby playing with toy airplanes. :lol:

Never mind I'm retired air force, have a degree in aerospace engineering, and currently work with the title aerospace engineer.

Perhaps the toy airplanes had something to do with all that.

:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts