Tropical Fish Keeping banner

21 - 40 of 313 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
It would be handy to add a further filter full of wool, just to aid the clean up,
Big no no when it comes root tabs for any plant in such a early stage in your set up, you have as good as started again, and what ever goodness was in your hob would prob died off throw cleaning,water temps and other factors, while you moved the set up. Your tanks going to need some recovery time, and regular water changes to start with intill your filters caught back up with the waste, intill then your plants should grow well with the extra nutrient available just now with your filter catching up, even then a root tab is ment for big hungry plants like amazon swords and the red tiger l, your fern needs tied to a peace of bog wood or a coconut shell, as this type of plant attaches its self via its roots to rought pouris surfaces.it will rot if planted in your sand

Barry
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok Barry, got ya covered. Pretty fun it is tying a plant to a rock hahaha. So they will in turn just get attached to this rock and continue to grow ?

Reactions: Chesh

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
Ok Barry, got ya covered. Pretty fun it is tying a plant to a rock hahaha. So they will in turn just get attached to this rock and continue to grow ?
Yes, and the roots will wrap around the rock and sometimes even find their way into the substrate. And even a runner from an amazon sword decided to wrap tightly around a gem style rock in the front of my kids 16g and has made a beautiful jewel based 12+ inch sword.

Ok this is cute. My 8yr old son insists that is you have top dwelling fish you should consider floating plants to make them feel safe like water sprite. or something else that reaches close to the top to give cover. (Sorry, he really wanted to be involded in this thread.. my lil fishy baby :love:)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
very cool about the Java, ty Agent 13. As far as the boy lol tell him not to worry no top dwelling fish yet. I need to get rid of a few of them after the tank has cycled, they are just to big. Without breaking out the tape measure I think the 2 Bala Sharks are 4 to 5 in. The Placo is pushing 9. I will take a pic here soon of it. Oh and I have to take a pic of my 11 year old daughters tank. She wants everyone to see it hahaha.

Reactions: willow and Agent13

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
ok the daughters must be first she says so :lol:

The new 55

The large Placo

The 2 Bala's

My first attempt at tying plants to a rock (Java Ferns)

Still kind of plain but I will work on it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ferns spot on mate tyed like a pro.. You now have a blank canvice for you to play around with, get something in just now for the big pleco, a cave or a piece of wood. will help him settle into this new place he will call home, saying that he would squese into the skull, sean big plecs in small spaces before, thats nice sharks you have as well, looking forward to the updates once you start the new scape.

Barry

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Barry ty for the input. The pleco has to go as well as the Balas. Love all three of them but they gotta go. Way to big for what I am after.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Willow gets a 1++ for the daughter tank and a shame shame shame on my tank lol. Very true though we had a very hard time on her tank. Back in the day I dont recall a cycle. We used to fill it up and buy fish..... the daughters tank we had a major ammonia problem. Our LPS (petco) said change the filter cartridge not once but told us to do it several times during the cycle. Its all good now. She doesnt miss the 12 fish that died during the process. As far as mine I have to agree. I think hers looks way cool and my tank is very dull lol. ;P

Reactions: willow and Chesh

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
To Barry I tried to edit my post to you but it was after the time limit hahaha. This is what I meant to say...

Barry ty for the fern comment. I didnt have a clue lol. As far as the fish the pleco has to go as well as the Balas. Love all three of them but they gotta go. Way to big for what I am after.

Reactions: Chesh

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Agent13 yes they do like color, I give her alot of credit for her choices. Hers looks nice indeed. As far as mine the large pleco is making a mess of the sand, and its plugin up my filter grrrr. He will be going to the pet store today if they will take him. I wish I knew someone to give it to around here but no such luck. As for mine, blank canvas indeed hahaha. Not sure just where to go with it yet. Any Ideals ???? Anyone ??? Looking to use schools of small fish(not tiny) Corys are a must. :)

As far as fish the tank did come with 3 Gourami's 1 Large and 2 Medium. Not sure if they will stay. and some sort of albino pleco which will stay for sure.(its kinda cool)

Reactions: rexpepper651

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Ok quick update... Pet store took 4 of the 7 fish that came with the tank. 1 large gourami, the 2 balas and the huge pleco Replaced the aqua-tech 30-50 with the marineland penguin 350 with bio-wheel.Got the sand back in order and the plants retied to the lava rock...waiting for the cycle :)

Reactions: willow

·
Registered
528 Posts
aww that pleco reminds me of my biggy! she got too big for my 55 and i had to rehome her :( tank is coming along nicely! i cant wait to see what you do with all that space!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
thnx rexpepper651. For an update some of the space has been filled up, (not by choice) it seems that the led lights of a glow tank don't last very long. In fact not even three months. So I had to move my daughters fish and shrimp over to the big tank. I hope all goes good for them. I need to find a hood and light for her ten gallon tank and then I can continue with the big one.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Another quick question. I just bought some hornwort and was wondering if I can float it or does it need to be planted ?

·
Registered
528 Posts
yes float the hornwort. i couldnt get mine to stay in the sand. but that stuff does grow rather well. i really enjoyed it but have since removed it from my tank. i heard alot of people complaining about the quills or needles gathering on the bottom. i had no such issue. def a good beginner plant imo. cool thing about hornwork is its native to where i live. made it more interesting for me for some reason.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I bought 2 bunches. I tied one to a rock and floated the other.Will post the new pics in a sec.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
New pics including my daughters fish and decorations.

The floating Hornwort

The tied down Hornwort

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Just a tip on Hornwort...... it loves light! Soo the closer it is to it the bushier/fuller it will get. On the flip side of that if it gets too little for its liking the needles will turn brown and fall off making a mess. The plant you have floating should be fine as its close to the light but just watch the tied down plant if you notice it turning brown let it float as well.

21 - 40 of 313 Posts