a. Ammonia? ?
b. Nitrite? 0-.5
c. Nitrate? About 40
d. pH, KH and GH? Ph-6.8-7.2, kh:about 80, gh:150
e. Test kit? Tetra easy strips 6 in 1

3. Temperature? Approx 72 F

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)? Freshwater

5. How long the aquarium has been set up?5 months

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
1 other silver Molly, 7 neon tetras, 2 glass fish, 1 chinese algae eater,, 2 clown loaches, 2 small albino catfish (unsure what type), 1 spotted catfish, 1 loach that looks like a worm (also unsure), 1 guppy, 1 blue gourami was
7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)? Almost all are original batch, except guppy and mollies.

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants? 2 fake plants, 1 is plastic, 1 is fabric type
b. Sand, gravel, bare bottom? Approx. 1 inch of gravel
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors?
1 fake wood stump that has hollow areas, 1 sponge bob pineapple house with hollow area
9. a. Filtration? Yes not sure what kind
b. Heater? Yes

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? Yes, not sure what kind. On for 10-12 hours a day (room is fairly dim)
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? Indirect light approx. 5 hours/day

11. a. Water change schedule? About every two weeks
b. Volume of water changed? Between 5 and 15 gal.
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Tap water (pretty hard)
d. Water conditioner used? I don't think so. (It's my husbands tank)
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? Almost every water change

12. Foods? Tetra pro color crisps and a few bottom feeder tablets daily
How often are they fed? Twice daily

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? Bloated with air near her back end, swims in circles near top, still eats, but trouble swimming makes it hard
b. Appearance of poop? No
c. Appearance of gills? Appear normal

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? No
b. What meds were used?

15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.

Please help, I don't know what to do....she has been like this for a few weeks, she's seems energetic and determined, but is really struggling. I don't know where to start, and what is most humane.
Read more: http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/...orm-read-before-you-post-61135/#ixzz3cly2eeDC

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sounds to me like swim bladder disease. Does your molly swim vertically, on it's side, and seem bloated with no poop? If so, I think it's swim bladder. Try to fast it for approx. two days and see if it returns to normal. Your fish is probably constipated. For mine, I take a frozen pea, dip it in warm water 'till it thaws, squeeze out the insides, throw the shell away, crush the insides into VERY small pieces, and feed them to my fish. Usually, the symptoms go away pretty fast, but it might take a few dozes before your molly is back to normal. Some people believe that this method isn't effective, but in my opinion it works great. The peas clear out the fish's digestive system, making your fish poop and relieving constipation.
Best of luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dont mean to be a pain in the rear, but you should be doing more vacuming and larger more frequent water changes and less feeding if your nitrates are 40 and theres trace elements of nitritie. Sounds to me like a bacterial infection. An internal bacterial infection of the swim bladder and gut. A extended bath in epsom salt and nitrofurazone green should work for this pretty well. Or metronidazole if you could find that. I know i reccomend meds to people that cannot always get the meds, but its good for others to learn and read and google searches that direct to these forums.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Epsom salt bath?

Thanks for the reply. Just wondering how to do the Epsom salt bath...
I don't have a second tank, is it ok to use a large plastic or glass container?
Also, what amount of Epsom salt and the meds you mentioned should I use?
Would I also use water conditioner since my water is hard?
How long should the bath last?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Epsom salt should be @ 2TBSP per ten gallons, higher for a bath. YOu can put it right into the main tank.
Don't feed him until it clears up.
Which med did you get?
Both metronidazole and Nitrofurazone are internal anerobic antibiotics. Metro you put in the food and water, furan you just put in the water.
Wont hurt Bio filtration

1 - 5 of 5 Posts