Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Show me the rule that I violated with my signature, that Byron removed. Yiuve discussed it, but now come up with the rule, on the viewable rules page.

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Hey Reef.
As you know when you were a Mod with us, Mike's total focus was to build the Forum to be as big as it can be. Keep it growing, build membership and constantly add to it, add new features. He was most upset that we were bogged down with dealing with trouble makers rather than making improvements.
Since you left we have held Skype meetings now as a group and Mike attended the first and expressed his vision for TFK and we went over many things with him.
From this meeting with Mike, one of his biggest concerns was members pm'ing Mods to get answers rather than posting on the open Forum. It must be discouraged and never encouraged. That means we must remove references to it just as we would any links to Facebook, or another Forum as both those take the reader and potential new member away from us.
The whole "Discuss With Moderator" section was built so that pm's to Mods would stop and we could redirect the conversations to the whole team. This reduces copy/paste into the Mod area, keeps ALL of us abreast of the concern, and eliminates the private assistance of members via PM which keeps all that information and advice private so that no one else with the same problem can find the answers on the internet if they Google it. Most Google'd fish problems lead them here. But we don't want that to be a dead end.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with you Reef. I am asking you to please not ask someone to pm you for answers. Even if you disagree with answers given on a thread, the Forum gives us a place to debate fish keeping.
Hope this helps you understand where we're coming from.
Sharon

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Then I suggest you change the RULES, so that all involved including new Member KNOW what is expected of them! As I stated, this is NOT in the RULES, as stated when a Member Registers. Therefore, again, your making your own rules up as you go........Nothing new there, but I know what the RULES are.......And that of which is not stated for a MEMBER to state to PM them if they don't understand an answer that was given. Can be given in more detail to that MEMBER as not to think themselves dumb!

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
I don't want to argue with you Reef, but I did find this:

You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit.

Please keep your advice and information on the open Forum where we can all benefit from it.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
Been fun. Good luck.
Well that sounds like a wrap. I'm not exactly sure why you're so upset but maybe I missed something more critical than a signature? Is this stemming from something else as well?

It would be nice if you could work it out or discuss it more but if not, then I wish you all the best.

Sigh.....:|

Reactions: Sakura8

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
The definition of forum from Merriam-Webster

a : the marketplace or public place of an ancient Roman city forming the center of judicial and public business
b : a public meeting place for open discussion
c : a medium (as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas
: a judicial body or assembly : court
a : a public meeting or lecture involving audience discussion
b : a program (as on radio or television) involving discussion of a problem usually by several authorities

Please note the key words here: open and public. Not private and closed. People come to an internet forum aware that they will be participating in an open and public atmosphere, not a question and answer session via PM. If they wanted answers via PM, they never would start a thread.

Despite your protestations otherwise, you are aware of this, Reefing. And I notice you had no problem with these "unwritten" rules when you were a mod and could have done something about it.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Yes, you had no problem telling lakemalawifish not to PM advice to people. -sigh-
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 8 of 8 Posts