Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd be the first to try to share a video. It didn't come out so clear but you can see them. If nothing else, it's motivation for me to buy a better webcam! :p

·
Registered
620 Posts
It wont let me play it.....IT says 'ready' and i click play but nothing happens

·
Registered
891 Posts
Same here. I right-clicked and looked at the Error Details which says "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The file may be formatted with an unsupported codec, or the Internet security setting on your computer is set too high. Lower your browser's security setting, and then try again."
So I turned off my internet security but it still didn't play, so I assume there's a problem with the "codec". What does that mean?

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
What web browser version / operating system are you using? I am using Windows XP with both IE6 and Opera v9.01 and I was able to view it without a problem.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yep...I have windows XP with internet explorer as my browser. It wont let me

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
Same here XP with IE and it wont play either

·
Registered
620 Posts
Nope, I use iTunes because I have an iPod

·
Registered
707 Posts
worked fine for me windows media player, etc. Other people are probably just missing the appropriate codec to view the video.

·
Registered
707 Posts

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
I am going to add a section to the "How to Upload Vides" sticky asking users to try to upload videos formatted as .WMV files because they are small and the most likely to have standard encoding and be playable on Microsoft Windows computers, which is what the majority of Internet users have. Does anyone know if linux and other operating systems can view .WMV files?

Can anyone recommend any other generally universal filetypes/codecs? I considered .mov but that would require downloading Quicktime if the user doesn't already have it.

·
Registered
707 Posts
WMV is probably the best way to go. Divx would be a close second, for me at least.

·
Registered
5,677 Posts
I'd rather members didn't have to download/install anything to watch the videos and DivX requires a codec that the typical computer user doesn't have.

I played around with Windows Media Player to try to save a video file as a .WMV and couldn't find a way. I have version 10. Am I missing something? Do you know of a way members can convert to .WMV without having to download any 3rd party software?

jsm11482 said:
WMV is probably the best way to go. Divx would be a close second, for me at least.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts