Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After taking over a year of time in the saltwater world, I've come back to my true home. It was fun, different and exciting; but I am back where I truly belong.

So I sold off all my rocks, sand and fish, cleaned my tank out with vinegar. Waited and filled her back up with water.

My thoughts were of two different set-ups.

Going back to my old set up of Dario Hysginon and Sparkling Gourami; or branching out too Apistogramma.

Dario Hysginon are only losing because... well... I CAN'T FIND ANY ANYWHERE!.

Here is a pic a few days after setup.
2014-11-24.jpg

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
Welcome back to the unsalty world :) Can I ask why you gave up the saltwater setup?

I keep thinking I'm going to venture there one of these days. When I have some time and a fatter wallet that is.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome back to the unsalty world :) Can I ask why you gave up the saltwater setup?

I keep thinking I'm going to venture there one of these days. When I have some time and a fatter wallet that is.
Not enough time. Wallet not fat enough. Baby on the way >.<

I also like the freshie lift better.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oooo! I love the way you set it up, very pretty once the plants perked up!
Thanks! Cut the cabomba when it reached to top and added some more plants.

Its looking really great (though tannins make it super dark) doing weekly water changes to keep them in check.

20141211_045523.jpg

Here's the salvinia growing really really well
20141211_045544.jpg

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Welcome back

FWIW you could have done saltwater by using macro algaes as a substitute for the plants of fw. Has the same effect except that you may have to protect the macros in some kind of refugium

my .02

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome back

FWIW you could have done saltwater by using macro algaes as a substitute for the plants of fw. Has the same effect except that you may have to protect the macros in some kind of refugium

my .02

Thanks for your feedback.

I actually did do a macro algae aquarium, but it wasnt as good as i wanted it to be. The return to planted aquariums did provide me with insight though. Both give me really good information and help me accomplish my goals.

I will return to a salt tank in the future, after the baby is born and i have some extra cash.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I like the natural look of your tank.... I run both salt and fresh.... it's be hard to give up either.... makes me glad the kids are grown and the house is paid for :lol:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I wish I wasn't so lazy. My problem is I love the look of a sand bottom, but I also want to have plants. So far the only thing that I can get successfully to grow is a bulb buried in the sand, and the tank extremely underfiltered. The bulb pushes its roots through the sand and puts little tendrils up everywhere, and can still throw out lilies like no other. Aside from that, I need to have plants that attach to rocks or driftwood. I just feel that those look tacky until they have developed. I'm kind of an instant gratification kind of guy.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wish I wasn't so lazy. My problem is I love the look of a sand bottom, but I also want to have plants. So far the only thing that I can get successfully to grow is a bulb buried in the sand, and the tank extremely underfiltered. The bulb pushes its roots through the sand and puts little tendrils up everywhere, and can still throw out lilies like no other. Aside from that, I need to have plants that attach to rocks or driftwood. I just feel that those look tacky until they have developed. I'm kind of an instant gratification kind of guy.
I too love the look of a sand bottom. I was thinking this morning about how much i was upset with the look of my tank. I could always cap off the floramax with sand...

I too am about instant graitfication. It's another reason why I was annoyed with my tank this morning. Nothing looks as good as I want it to be, but this is all about the learning experience. It will get better with time.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
FWIW

I use peat moss, capped with sand and capped with pro choice select which is a red baked clay gravel.

I have found the peat moss kept kh and gh constant for 2 years. Plus neon tetras did much better then with a sand only substrate.

my .02

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FWIW

I use peat moss, capped with sand and capped with pro choice select which is a red baked clay gravel.

I have found the peat moss kept kh and gh constant for 2 years. Plus neon tetras did much better then with a sand only substrate.

my .02
I love Neon Tetra as a beautiful fish, but my past experience has made me decide to never keep them again.

I went from about 15+ neons to 0 in a week or two. Thats when i learned of the dreaded "Neon Tetra disease" never again.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Understand.

And BTW you may never return to salt tanks as there is never any extra money. LOL

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am extremely... EXTREMELY terrible with updating posts.

I've been updating my other journal on theplantedtank, but neglected this one.

In the last couple weeks ive moved and took that opportunity to make a change.

The walstad method. Ohhhh It was so awesome imo. After reading and reading and asking questions i decided it was time to jump in.

I added some plants and in the week i had done the change i noticed growth with the new plants and some of the old (now if only my dwarf sag would take off...)

image.jpg

This photo was taken last friday. Since then i did a 60% water change, clearer tank.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts