Tropical Fish Keeping banner

My out of water pleco

19K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Santrikea 
#1 ·
On Monday morning my Pleco Jethro, evidently jumped from his tank and ended up under the cabinet. I noticed him missing a little after 9 am, he was not found until almost 6 pm. We were amazed he was still alive and put him back in his tank dust, dirt and all. Outside of seeming a little ticked off swimming back and forth very quickly slamming into the the sides of the tank he seemed ok. Today, Friday, I noticed his fins look like the are shredded and parts of them are falling off. I assume this is because they dried out but will the grow back? Jethro is 12 years old and 14" long. He summers in our pond but this being NW Ohio he spends the rest of the year in a 50 gallon heated tank in the house. Any help would be welcomed. Thanks.

#2 ·
I can't offer any help, just wanted to say how amazing it is he lasted so long outside the tank!

#5 ·
I have had several experiences with fish transported to me with severely damaged fins. Proper water conditions for the fish, food and time are the best remedies. Damage between the rays of the fins can grow back. Whether your fish's fins will grow back will likely depend on damaged structure. I have had an oscar survive being out of the water ~3 hours. Your 9 hrs takes the cake. That is just amazing.

I don't agree with using salts in freshwater unless its to remove parasites or in African Cichlids tanks. Not wanting to start a debate on salt as there is already plenty of coverage of this issue all over the internet. Search the net for more information on this and ignore any site that is selling them. Freshwater salts have a ridiculously high profit margin and these site have a good reason to push these products.

#7 ·
It wasn't a site that sold anything that said the best thing was salt. It was a "sick fish" type site. Several different sites suggested salt to restore their slime coat and for for general healing. They all said table salt without iodine, preferably kosher because it does not have additives. But if frequent clean water changes are the thing you suggests, you guys are the tropical fish people.
It is good to know that his skin will probably grow back and he isn't truly a Frankenfish. But he is a rare one.
I'll keep you posted. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
any update on the plec ?
i saw on a fish site once(and i wish i could remember where) a seriously
damaged bristlenose,that had been caught up in roots or thread that
had been used to attach a plant ,and they had realllllly badly
cut into it's skin,it was truley awful...anyhoooo the lady kept the water
as clean as humanly possible and treated the tank with melafix..she
kept a photo diary of the outcome...the fish made it. !

#9 ·
Jethro seems to be doing fine. He actually ate his zucchini and his shrimp pellets. The area where the skin came off his belly is looking so much better, no longer red. I talked to my niece a few days ago, I had forgotten her husband keeps tropical fish, and he said about the same thing. Frequent clean water exchanges, Aquasafe, and a little salt won't hurt him. A friend has asked me if he is a male. I have no idea but I have always called him a him and named him Jethro after the main character in the show NCIS. Anyone know if you can tell if male or female? I'll try to keep you posted on Jethro's condition. Thanks everyone.
Posted via Mobile Device

#14 ·
Jethro seems to be doing fine. He actually ate his zucchini and his shrimp pellets. The area where the skin came off his belly is looking so much better, no longer red. I talked to my niece a few days ago, I had forgotten her husband keeps tropical fish, and he said about the same thing. Frequent clean water exchanges, Aquasafe, and a little salt won't hurt him. A friend has asked me if he is a male. I have no idea but I have always called him a him and named him Jethro after the main character in the show NCIS. Anyone know if you can tell if male or female? I'll try to keep you posted on Jethro's condition. Thanks everyone.
Posted via Mobile Device
All I know is about Bristlenose Pleco's (not sure of yr breed?)...A female's bristles will be across the snout and a male's will have bristles on top of his head as well as the snout.
As for the salt issue, a little salt is ok in freshwater tanks to help ward off germs & sickness in fish, but it's not good for pleco's at all. It will, in fact, kill your pleco as it dries their coats out too much. If you still choose to use it, pls remember that it doesn't evaporate and only add smaller amounts each water change. An over salted tank isn't good even for the fish. I stopped using salt completely once I got my pleco and have never had a problem. I do a weekly 40% water change with the tank vacuum and use conditioner.

#10 ·
Does he slap the other fish on the head?

#12 ·
you could try planet catfish.com
might find your answer there,however i think that they are difficult
to differentiate between the two,until they are mature,and even then...?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.