Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ram and I've had him in the tank 4 3 2 or 3 months and now I put a new one in with him because I have a buddy and he keeps chasing them around the tank and biting on him consistently the new one is now currently hiding and my older one is hunting him it seems like I've never seen him this active before is it going to kill him what should I do

Plant Leaf Purple Creative arts Art

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry if it doesn't make sense. I did talk to text feature and it came out all wrong. I need help

·
Registered
7 aquaria: live plants, shrimp, snails, celestial danios, white clouds, corys, ottos...
42 Posts
Although the Bolivian Rams are considered "peaceful", they ARE cichlids...

It sounds like a territorial thing, with the established male defending his turf against an interloper. The new guy is completely disoriented and doesn't know what to think, so he just retreats, encouraging the first one's aggression.

If you cannot separate the fish, I'd suggest re-arranging the tank substantially, hopefully adding another place or two to hide, and then turning off the lights and make it as dark as possible for the evening. When the lights come on in the morning, it is effectively a whole new tank for both of them and the established male will no longer be so sure it's all his. This might calm the territorial issue, but they still will have to decide who is boss, which is typically less intense.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts