Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have 3 goldfish in a 10 gallon tank,( I know not that big of a tank for goldfish ) but I recently got a api master test kit and got a straight up red or about “100ppm” for the test, I tested everything else and everything else came out great the ammonia nitrites and stuff. So I’ve started gravel vacuuming and taking out 20% daily but my tests are still coming out red. Forgot to mention there were 4 goldfish but one of mine died 2 days ago, none of the goldfish are getting his symptoms but they are less active right now, I have noticed they have been acting very drowsy and not moving a lot. So, will my goldfish be okay? and if I keep on gravel vacuuming and taking out 20% will my nitrates eventually go down. One last thing, lol sorry, I am fasting them for 2 days and then feeding once after the fast is it ok and will they be ok? thank you.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Your tank is so overstocked that high Nitrates are going to happen. The first thing you should do is change more water at a time - 40% daily water changes would be more useful for keeping Nitrates down given your stocking. As long as you keep them healthy and remove dead leaves, adding some Goldfish-hardy plants such as Java Fern and Anubias to use up some of those Nitrates would also be a good idea. Goldfish will eat many plants, but those two should work. You'll need to upgrade the aquarium size asap, although the size you'll need will depend on whether they are Fancy, Common, or Comet Goldfish.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Goldfish should be in a minimum of 30 gallons. They produce higher amounts of ammonia then other fish. 3 in a ten gallon is waaaaaay overstocked

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your tank is so overstocked that high Nitrates are going to happen. The first thing you should do is change more water at a time - 40% daily water changes would be more useful for keeping Nitrates down given your stocking. As long as you keep them healthy and remove dead leaves, adding some Goldfish-hardy plants such as Java Fern and Anubias to use up some of those Nitrates would also be a good idea. Goldfish will eat many plants, but those two should work. You'll need to upgrade the aquarium size asap, although the size you'll need will depend on whether they are Fancy, Common, or Comet Goldfish.
Ok, forgot to mention I have been changing the water daily and now every 2 days. I put a plant in there and am going to change the water again today.👍

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Goldfish should be in a minimum of 30 gallons. They produce higher amounts of ammonia then other fish. 3 in a ten gallon is waaaaaay overstocked
I understand, but my ammonia is the lowest it could be but I get what your saying cause ammonia turns to nitrite then nitrate so ok👍

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you try adding salt? I had a 220 gallon that I used to add a soda cap full of salt to and it would instantly remove the nitrates. Sad to say I don't have that tank because I moved into an apartment and the floor can't hold the weight. But I now have a 30 gallon tank and I add salt to it. I have noticed some fish will die without the salt such as my shrimp. Even though the shrimp are freshwater they still require some salt. I add 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons, that is the maximum because I noticed bad results if I go over that. Goldfish produce a lot of Nitrogen and Ammonia so they may require more salt. Since you have a 10 gallon I would start with a teaspoon and wait 20 minutes and do a nitrate test.

A lot of people do not know that Mollies live brackish water and because I have Mollies that is why I have to add 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. If you do not have a brackish water fish then I would add 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons. If Mollies start to shimmy or get sick then it's most likely from lack of salt

I could NOT keep my shrimp alive until I started adding salt. It seems shrimp require some salt but they don't seem to need a lot, they probably could survive with 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you try adding salt? I had a 220 gallon that I used to add a soda cap full of salt to and it would instantly remove the nitrates. Sad to say I don't have that tank because I moved into an apartment and the floor can't hold the weight. But I now have a 30 gallon tank and I add salt to it. I have noticed some wish will die without the salt such as my shrimp. Even though the shrimp are freshwater they still require some salt. I add 1 tablespoon of salt per 5 gallons, that is the maximum because I noticed bad results if I go over that. Goldfish produce a lot of Nitrogen and Ammonia so they may require more salt. Since you have a 10 gallon I would start with a teaspoon and wait 20 minutes and do a nitrate test.

A lot of people do not know that Mollies live brackish water and because I have Mollies that is why I have to add 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. If you do not have a brackish water fish then I would add 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons. If Mollies start to shimmy or get sick then it's most likely from lack of salt

I could NOT keep my shrimp alive until I started adding salt. It seems shrimp require some salt but they don't seem to need a lot, they probably could survive with 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons.
Dang man ok I might try it but I’m getting my nitrates down using water changes and the fish look good rn but thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
What is their pH, temp and oxygenation? And you're replacing some nitrifying bacteria with the water changes and using a water conditioner as well. It's not that the nitrates aren't important. But doing other things to keep the water more ideal will be your ally. For me, using a cutting from a pothos plant hanging out the back helps some. They can seem to grow pretty fast and thus use nitrate while they do it. But even with this sort of grouping of approaches, it'll be a constant battle with too much bioload for the volume of water.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ph is 7.4 , temp is about 74 no heater obviously cause they’re goldfish , I can’t get a bigger tank right now I’m doing water changes and the nitrates are going down. I think if I create a water changing and tank maintenance schedule I can possibly pull it off lol. The fish are acting like they’re normal self so thanks man.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a similar problem to you in one of my tanks. If the water changing frequency is realistic for you to do, it should work.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Goldfish need 30-40 gallons each depending on the breed! I used to have a 600 gallon tank when I was breeding goldfish. (Yes, I am a professional breeder) I only ever stocked that tank with a maximum of 15 fish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts