Tropical Fish Keeping banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

· Registered
5,394 Posts
predator1984uk said:
my nitrite and nitrate are still to high.

i need to lower them asap.

nitrates 50mg/l

nitrites 1.5-4.0
Nitrites are a problem, you will have to so a series of water changes to keep these down.

Can I ask, what are the nitrate readings from your tapwater?

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
hi im still here have been reading but not posting tbh.well things are going well i have a nice little tank going and all seems to have settled in well.

im having a problem with the correct plants and they dont seem to be lasting long.

also i have now got millions of tiny snails which i would like to get rid of any suggestions on wildlife for the job or a chemical ect???

· Registered
2,889 Posts
Kuhlies and most other loaches eat snails but a lot of loaches, clowns for example, grow quite big.

56l = 12g, so I wouldn't recommend any loaches.

You can often entice the snails onto a bit of romaine lettuce or kale then you could put the snails in a tub in some water, put that in the freezer and that is a more humane death for them than pouring them down the drain or killing them with chemicals. Personally though, I just leave my snails as I quite like them, and couldn't bring myself to kill them.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.