Tropical Fish Keeping banner

61 - 80 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
good that your using pvc to house the wires, been shocked on the metal ones at work before not fun.... Any way continue.....

·
Registered
690 Posts
If you're piping with metal conduit it should never be hot, not a shock hazard at all, as it's grounded. Same goes for the metal face plates if you have them. My whole house including the fishroom is piped, it's code here.

I use the large metal bus strips that have a dozen or more outlets, above tanks whenever possible. Heater wires hang down, don't even bother with suction cups.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Its a furnature store so the conduits are alway getting hit by something, my co workers failed to mention the live conduit........ The boss got an electrician out after I complained that my arm went numb........ So the moral is don't use metal conduits, because if you do get a pinched or weak wire the whole freaking thing goes live (light switches, hvac or ductwork, pipes carring gas or water, list goes on). Looks like everyone takes this pretty seriously, which is exelent, but still a good conversation to have.

·
Registered
690 Posts
It should never be live, as it should be grounded, to the panel itself, which is grounded. Should. Now if someone smacked hard enough it & disconnected it somewhere so there's no continuity to the panel, and you get a loose wire somewhere in there you'll have a problem. The reason for metal is fire safety, you get an arc in plastic or romex you've got a fire issue, metal is real hard to burn.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Updated Photos

Looks great I would have done it the same way. I don't have the same option with my new tank since it is in the dinning room.

Got to ask though; as you look at the back wall in the picture above, it looks like the conduit is running down hill left to right. Is it? :BIGwinky:

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Yes the conduit was a little off in the photo, it was wedged into place at that time. I have it locked down now so it won't move.

Over the weekend I did a couple of things nothing major. Fixed the drain system so I can filter all the water so I don't have stuff going down my drain, moved the tubes so they look neater, moved some fish around so everyone was happy in their tanks, and set up another tank so I can put my guppy fry now that they are almost 3 months old. Plus my normal maintenance

I was at a local shop over the weekend and kicking the idea of getting another large tank their 125g looked small compared to mine. Turns out I have a 150g not a 125g tank, so good news for me. I have it full of water and even aqua scaped but no fish in it yet. With my Oscars still small they can stay in the 30g for another month before I move them over.

My plan is to paint the rack this weekend then I will take some photos of how it all looks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well good luck with your projects.

I logged on this morning to check out the threads about Silicone sealers; also to post a question on installing my Overflow and Return Bulkheads to the bottom of my tank.
At my new thread http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/so-build-begins-i-still-want-548674/

I am off to Home depot to pick up a circuit protected power strip, for inside the cabinet. Thought about putting one together myself; then felt it would be easier to, and just cheaper to buy one. I am getting two GFI's outlets to mount into existing outlets. Turns out the outlet directly behind my stand is switched. There is no way to make it fixed to on; simply because it is in a block wall. The only access is crawling in the attic over the insulation. There is an outlet just three feet away that is always hot and not used.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
This weekend I started painting the back ground on to a few of my 10g tanks. I really wish I would have do that on all the tanks before I set them up. But I will paint them as I move tanks around or drain them for any reason.

I painted the stand holding the 150 gallon tanks but the main rack I didn't get time to paint. It turned out really nice, again I wish I would have painted the racks before I put tanks on them. But I guess that is a lesson learned and my next rack will be painted before I put tanks on it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I haven't seen if you have this set up protected by GFI.... a properly wired GFI circuit will trip long before you get a shock...Love the idea of a fish ROOM....I have 3 of them.. but only one tank in each room... I think if I tried to take over any one of them for the purpose of maintain tanks only... my wife just might not play along.... I think.I'd be homeless..

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I haven't seen if you have this set up protected by GFI.... a properly wired GFI circuit will trip long before you get a shock...Love the idea of a fish ROOM....I have 3 of them.. but only one tank in each room... I think if I tried to take over any one of them for the purpose of maintain tanks only... my wife just might not play along.... I think.I'd be homeless..

Yes there is a GFI outlet. The new circuits that I had put in have a GFI as the first outlet on the circuit.

I was lucky the room I'm using was my little work shop but as my hobby grow I moved the other stuff out. So my wife didn't say anything. We have a pretty large basement and I'm already looking at another section to grow into next year. Now my wife is enjoying the fish also I might be able to grab another 200 sq feet for more tanks.:-D

Half my weekend is shot so not sure how much I will get done. I would really like to get the large rack painted but I will have to wait and see. As soon as I'm done I will get some more photos for you guys.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yes there is a GFI outlet. The new circuits that I had put in have a GFI as the first outlet on the circuit.

I was lucky the room I'm using was my little work shop but as my hobby grow I moved the other stuff out. So my wife didn't say anything. We have a pretty large basement and I'm already looking at another section to grow into next year. Now my wife is enjoying the fish also I might be able to grab another 200 sq feet for more tanks.:-D

Half my weekend is shot so not sure how much I will get done. I would really like to get the large rack painted but I will have to wait and see. As soon as I'm done I will get some more photos for you guys.
Awesome... I have a full blown wood working shop in the basement... plus a 30 gallon sump for my reef tank ( which is upstairs)... I've consumed about all the real-estate I'm allowed. I'm looking foreword to your posts as you progress on the room...

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Here are two photos of what I have done this past weekend.

The first is my 150g I have it rocks and driftwood like I want just need to add lights and the fish. I haven't put the oscars in the tank yet because I'm letting them grow in the 30g tank for as long as I can. That is a lot of water to be changing 3 times a week.

20150503_133429_resized.jpg

This one you can see I have started painting the rack. The left side isn't done yet and I also need to paint the behind and under the tanks. I''m going to paint those as I empty the tanks or move them. I don't want to drain them all just to paint. I will paint the far end of the rake this weekend and paint the drain pipe also.

20150503_133458_resized.jpg

I really like the color of the paint, I was afraid it would be too dark in the room but I'm glad I was wrong.

I was using paper for backgrounds but I started painting them on now and I really like the way the fish colors really pop now. I will be painting all of the tanks as I move them on the rack

·
Registered
319 Posts
that's real nice.. I like what you have done there... you have been busy!... I used to put paper back grounds on my tanks.. I now paint them as well. It's the only way to go IMHO..

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
There is still a lot of work to do. I didn't realize how much work a fish room is to set up. There are so many things you don't think about before you start. I reworked my air system over the weekend, I replaced some older pumps and replaced some old tubes.

The painted backgrounds are so much nicer I can't believe I took so long to try it. I have 1 more 10g to paint. You can see them in the photo all on the top row 2nd from the left is has my youngest guppy fry and once I sex them I will paint that background also.

This weekend I'm going to see about getting my lights worked out. I have the brackets to mount them above the 10g tanks just ran out of time. Also need to move that last HOB filter off the from of the tank.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I like you went with something other than black. Looks really nice. Can't wait to see your oscars in the big tank.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Haha kinda funny that I'm working on staining my tank stands. Going dark with red mahogany, just have to let the weather break so I can apply the finish coat.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I thought about black but I got this quart premixed someone made a mistake so it was cheap. I really like the color it "fades away" when your looking at the tanks where the bare wood didn't. I'm going to get more so I can paint a shelf for the room also.

Didn't get much done over the weekend with Mothers day I spent most of the time in the yard helping my wife. We had a lot of fun so it was a good weekend. This week I have to get a few tanks ready I'm picking up some fish this weekend from a local (2 hours away) club so want my tanks ready to put fish in right when I get home.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #79 (Edited)
Well the past few weeks have some real ups and downs in the fish room.

Last weekend I was able to get me a number of new additions. Here is what I got.

Aphyosemion striatum - PAIR-
Poecilia minima - 1 male adult ,2 female adult, 6-7 small fry
Goodea gracilis - 3 male and 1 female
Poecilia sp. "Rio Coatzacoalcos" -2 pair
P alleni -male 10 month old white crayfish
Marmorkrebs -female 1 month
Everyone got new homes and settled in nicely.

The bad news is I also came down with the flu around the middle of last week and today is my first day I feel like doing anything with the fish. So my tanks have been getting the minimum amount of time, as I have been doing 3 water changes a week I new I could get by for a few days while I recover.

One of my Jack Dempsey freaked out while I was sick and killed one tank mate, he was working on some others so I moved him to my Oscar tank thinking they where bigger and more aggressive they would be fine. Well I was wrong he killed them both in less than 12 hours.:evil: I was ready to flush that little piece of ---- but I didn't. Now that I feel better I will see about the LFS taking him in and get me two more oscars. Really sucks I really like those two little guys, but I blame my self more than the JD I should have known better.

I will be taking it easy for at least another week so not planning on doing anything new for the next two weeks, I will catch up on my maintenance and that's about all.

61 - 80 of 167 Posts