Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow members.:wave:

It’s time I give you the chance to glimpse into my new acquisitions.:mrgreen: It has been a long time since I have updated my tank.:) Remember though that our experiences are not always the same.:) I haven’t managed to take pics of my other 9 hillstream loaches.:roll: The pics here featured only two hillstream loaches as the rest are rather elusive although I managed to take pics of one of my hillies which I have yet to upload.

Hillstream Loaches(Beaufortia kweichowensis)
One of the hillstream loaches.
With Flash:

Don’t ask me why there are white splotches on the background.
No Flash:

Another hillstream loach which I think is one of the most beautiful loaches I got.:love: She often changes from yellow to green. Powerhead is coated in red algae.

Here's the underside part of the hillstream loach. Not clear enough to see though.:lol: This hillstream shown is by far one of the few that sticks itself to the front glass.:) The rest just stuck themselves to rocks and back glass. Their markings make them easy for me to distinguish them.:lol:

No need to complain about the algae.:lol: I prefer to make my aquarium as natural as possible.;) Algae serves as food for my hillies and Siamese Algae Eaters.

Here are the other new fish I have.:)
Young Gold Ram

Third pic shows him with a cardinal tetra. Cardinal wasn't supposed to be on the pic but she managed to slip.:roll:

Microrasboras
Here are the Microrasboras. I haven't identified them yet. I tend to forget about it.:oops:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
musho3210 said:
aww blue, what happened to the photo quality :?:
It's disappointing really.:shake:
juliewiegand said:
how many of them did you get?
11. I am supposed to have 12 but the last one seems to have fainted the moment it entered the plastic bag :redmad: so I decided to give it a few more days in the lfs tank before it goes with me.:roll: It was being crushed by other hillies as they enter the plastic bag to be transported to my home.:roll: Funny though that the stupid hillie recovered fast enough when it was placed back to the tank again but this is frustrating because I don't want to waste my time just to get that loner anytime this week.:frustrated:

It seems I'm not satisfied with 12 just yet.:? So I'll touch my phone again to make a request to my friend to get more.:lol: I had already requested to him to find some Homaloptera species for me which he had last year but I wasn't interested back then. They are more slender in appearance hence the name 'lizard loach'.:)

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sigh...This is the first time I ever saw them chasing each other on the bottom.:shake: It took them long enough to touch the bottom since they were introduced.:evil: I had been waiting for this but all they do is glide along glasses, rocks, woods, etc.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
leifthebunny said:
Don't they require a heavy stream of water? They look really cool.
They do which is why I find myself using my deadly powerhead.:) Deadly because it killed several tetras before but I locked the strainer with a tube from a sponge filter thus preventing the repeat of that incident.:)

On the side note, you'll need peat to lower the pH. There is a tendency for pH to rise because the extra oxygen needed by these fish often increases the pH. CO2 is useless as it will only be lifted out by the surface agitation.

They are indeed cool.:mrgreen: What say we convert your 55 gallons to a river tank instead?:twisted:

·
Registered
698 Posts
LOL, currently I have a 90g in operation and after the countless hours of cleaning the **** substrate, I'll be damned if I'm gonna convert this one. :p The next one I am definitely going to do as a angel tank. I need to talk with the LFS but might go with a 65 instead as it takes up less space lengthwise (36" and juts out father versus 48"). I promised the GF I would get several fish which will work well in the tank. ;)

I've been reading about the river tank and I'm really interested in the outcome. Hillstream loaches have been on my watch list. If I hadn't planted my hornwort directly below the outstream for my eheim, I bet I could have managed a couple. :p

·
Registered
158 Posts
Great fish mate :wink:
The hillstreams are very nice one..i did have some of those but unfortunately they did not do very well in my tank :cry:
And yes they do like stream and lot of oxygen in the tank.

This is how my hillstreams looked like..not trying to highjack your post here mate :wink:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rob1619 said:
not trying to highjack your post here mate :wink:
Nor do I think you are hijacking the thread.:lol: Everyone is welcome to share photos.:) Your hillies are lovely.:love: Any idea why they didn't do well in your tank?:(

Daz, it's the best I can get.:(

musho3210 said:
how big of a tank do they need?
A 20 gallons would have been sufficient but I prefer they are placed in a large, long tank where they can glide along the currents produced by powerheads.

I'm seeing these fish alot lately.:shock: I can't help but notice some poking the tip of their heads outside the water to reach green algae growing outside the water level.:roll: How persistent.:lol:

I haven't forgotten to post this one which I was supposed to post yesterday. Thank goodness. I saved it before the connection cuts through.:roll:

I'll get the ball rolling...Pls don't complain about the pics' quality. It's the best I could get with my camera.:smoke:

Very dark but you could see the yellow/white edges of the hillie's dorsal fin contrasting the black driftwood.:) The third loach I've managed to get pics with.:)

Fourth Hillstream Loach...Kinda boring to get pictures of each.:lol:

Fifth Hillstream Loach...One of the latest. He's a bit pale but he will be fine soon enough.:) He just needed to adapt to his new surroundings.:)

Close-up picture.

Sixth Hillstream Loach. Only one pic is available as he is quite elusive darting immediately behind the rocky caves.

I haven't obtained a pic of my largest hillie who keeps darting behind rocks as soon as I approach the aquarium.:x

I can't remember if I had submitted pics of my young true Siamese Algae Eaters but here goes.:) Pic was taken when I had only two of them. Bought 3 more a week later. Quite industrious enough to consume the algae. I had a 5-years old but he died last January. Thanks to my green arowana.:roll:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now I have a new dilemma. How am I going to take good pictures now that the tank is dark yellow because of my peat?:roll:

And for anyone who thinks I keep serpae tetras, they're not serpaes. I would never lay a finger on those vicious little fish.:blink: These ones are red phantom tetras.;) A bit like black phantoms changing from gold to brick red.:shock:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Any idea why they didn't do well in your tank?
Well first of all i only had 2 Hillstreams..the lfs had only 2 and they need to be kept in groups and the second option i belive it must be to little oxygen and low stream.
They did last a few months..if iam getting some of those again i will make a perfect tank for them with lots of rocks and river setup with plenty of oxygen :wink:
They are great fish and seeing your pics Blue..i want to keep them again..though they are not very cheap!

Lovey tank and great aquascape Blue :D
You could maybe get some more light when taking the pics..flashlight like snipper mode :lol: ..sometimes i use that!

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh sorry about what happened, Rob.:( Thanks for the flashlight suggestion.:) Haven't thought of that.:roll:

I did bought only one at first and seeing as the first one is not showing up a lot, I bought 2 more 2 days later. I wasn't satisfied yet again and ended up going home with 2 more. And then 6 more.:lol: The last one will be with me by next week I think.:)

Wanted to get a pic of one hillie who showed up with a bright yellow coloration but in all my excitement, I forgot to grab my camera.:x

They're not cheap here either.:shake: Fortunately, instead of paying 100 pesos each, I was given 85 pesos but the last 6 were 80 pesos each instead.:lol:

I'm interested with the Sewellia lineolata but they aren't available yet.:?

·
Registered
40 Posts
blue - try turning on the macro mode on your camera, also if you can get something to stabilize the camera that would help, I bought a $15 dollar tripod for mine, and it really helps. also anything you could do to make your camera snap the pic faster would help. things like turning up the ISO(this also has a tendency to make pictures grainy, but at least you can tell what you took a pic of), also if your camera has an option to adjust your shutter/aperature setting the lower the number, like f2.3 is better than f8.0, the better pics will look, although this does decrease your DOF (depth of focus) try these tips and see if it helps, it's what has helped me take decent pics.

oh yeah, I love the loaches. I had one of them for awhile, but it didn't last long because I didn't know about the strong current requirements. se la vi.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
AF_medic said:
blue - try turning on the macro mode on your camera, also if you can get something to stabilize the camera that would help, I bought a $15 dollar tripod for mine, and it really helps. also anything you could do to make your camera snap the pic faster would help. things like turning up the ISO(this also has a tendency to make pictures grainy, but at least you can tell what you took a pic of), also if your camera has an option to adjust your shutter/aperature setting the lower the number, like f2.3 is better than f8.0, the better pics will look, although this does decrease your DOF (depth of focus) try these tips and see if it helps, it's what has helped me take decent pics.
Thanks, AF_medic.:) Tight budget right now but who knows I'll be able to get good pics with your suggestion. I'll keep that in mind.:) thanks again.:)
Rob1619 said:
Lovey tank and great aquascape Blue :D
I don't remember posting my whole tank setup since last year.:lol: But thanks for the comments anyway.:D

Thanks, everyone.:wave:

·
Registered
158 Posts
I don't remember posting my whole tank setup since last year. But thanks for the comments anyway.
By the pics you posted up here and i saw how the rocks where set up and so on..i know this tank is a great one :wink:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts