Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I forget what my grass plant is called (I think it's Jungle Vals?), I bought it last year...its long and thin. Maybe this is a common thing with other similar plants...but it has started to grow a hair type stuff on it, at first I thought my hair go into the tank, but it's being growing on the plant and have no clue what is happening.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
its hair algae. you can either get ghost shrimp or mollies. they will eat it. make sure you keep up with water changes. the more buildup of excess nutrients you have the more it will grow. so if you have plants make sure they are healthy and soaking up the nutrients. if not then do more frequent wc. if they are infested with the algae then remove the algae infested area.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Also lighting, hair algae loves light, if your tank light is on too long, they can get pretty pervasive.

Tank setup details might help such as what kind of light you use, ferts, duration of lighting, % of water changed per week.

To start though, try removing as much of it by hand as possible, change your water.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Could it be cyanobacteria?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Well thats a fail by me... I meant Clado, not cyano. :)

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Cladophora? My bad, was writing the C got distracted and then somehow finished with cyano... Then decided to include full name - cyanobacteria - to make googling easier for the OP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts