Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my fish tank turning greenish color!!!! help =(
i took some water out and it is light greenish =(
how do i fix this? i thought the filter make the water clear. im running aquaclear 70 hangon filter.

·
Registered
211 Posts
algae in the water... do water changes and turn the lights off...

Or you can buy a UV sterilizer from petsmart or petco.. It will clear the green water up

·
Registered
523 Posts
Keeping your lights on for less time in the day will help it stay clear, doing a water change every day to get the algae out, and not exposing it to direct sunlight should clear up your problem(anyone get that pun? No? Okay...).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
i turn on the light at night time one side only.
and i do like 10 percent water change everyday =(
its not by the sunlight
i dont want to buy the UV sterilizer =(

dont know what to do next

·
Registered
211 Posts
Turn the lights off completetly at night.. if you have 1 light on at night are you basically saying you have some form of light on 24/7 ?

And 10% water change is nothing... I do 50-70% water changes weekly in all my tanks... do you have a dechlorinator like prime ? Drain 50% of your water ( turn heaters and filter off..) and refill with water of the same temperature slowely and using prime..

10% is basically how much water evaporates in my tanks every 2 days lol..

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ahh i guess that make sense no need light =/
i dont use prime i use the water conditioner i will look into that.

·
Registered
319 Posts
IMHO..it is a nutrient problem.... have you measured Nitrate and phosphate levels... what is your feeding schedule...how much and what types of food... turning lights out will only mask the problem... the algae is feeding off of the excess in nutrients.. thus actually keeping your tank safe... if you do not have any, try adding some live plants.. feed less and maintain water changes...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts