Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today when looking in my tank I notice both my lemon tetras and my neon tetras are showing signs of white spots on there tails, fins and bodies. My Otocinclus seem ok, bristle nose seem ok, my dwarf puffer and dwarf gourami seem ok for spots. However dwarf gourami and one Otto seem to be swimming strangely every now and then.

I have tried to take a photograph but I not managed to get a decent enough picture.

I have a 60ltr planted tank, two filters fluval u1 and a fluval 103 canister, canister has course, medium and polishing pads with ceramics, no chemical filtration in.

Temp 24 degrees
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0 - 5.0

If this is a disease how do i treat it?

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
Sounds like they have Ich :( Do they look like they've been sprinkled with salt?

Reactions: JonandJo

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
I'm wondering if your puffer is stressing your other fish. They are rather aggressive and are not good community fish. The only ones you have that i feel are ok with dwarf puffers would be you otos

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm wondering if your puffer is stressing your other fish. They are rather aggressive and are not good community fish. The only ones you have that i feel are ok with dwarf puffers would be you otos
My puffer does not hassle any of the fish. When my wife talked me into getting it I said at the first sign of it bullying my other fish it goes. I have yet to see it go near any other fish apart from the dwarf gourami, the pair of them are like Arnie and danny devitto in twins they swim backwards and forwards together.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like they have Ich :( Do they look like they've been sprinkled with salt?
Is Ich and white spot the same thing? Just when I asked in my LFS they said they are 2 different things Ich is more of a goo on the fish.

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
Is Ich and white spot the same thing? Just when I asked in my LFS they said they are 2 different things Ich is more of a goo on the fish.
I dont know what your LFS is talking about lol. Ich is a sprinkling of white spots.. Its a parasite and it'll get worse fast. If untreated the fish will look like its peeling .. Maybe thay what they are talking about ? Anywho.. Crank the heat up to 86 and leave it like that for 2weeks. Thatll kill the ich. Nothing else that you have to do. Double check your water and make sure the readings were right... A drastic temp drop can cause this sometime too.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tonights mission is a 20% water change, Increase the heat in the tank and add some tetra white spot treatment

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
I wouldn't add any meds on top of raising the temp. Bring the tank up slowly to 86F and add an airstone to the tank if you don't have one already. That will help with oxygenation while heat is turned up.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 8 of 8 Posts