Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!
My planted 10 gallon has had a string of recent casualties lately. All 3 cherry barbs have died and 1 Cardinal Tetra (Leaving only 4 Cardinal Tetras, my Betta, and my BN Pleco left). I know it was a bit overstocked but its pretty heavily planted so I figured it was fine.

Anyways, my Cardinals started showing signs of Ich about a week ago. I added some Aquarium Salt (after taking the plants out, of course) and then bought some natural ich medication and added that to the tank. However, I began losing 1 cherry barb a day after about 2 days in. I kept up on adding medicine and water changes so I honestly have no clue. 2 of the 3 bodies of the cherry barbs showed signs of scale loss but I don't know if it was just because of decomposing. One of the scale-loss fish showed noticeable decay by its anal fin. Maybe it was nipped and got infected? Who knows. The last cherry barb had a large yellow spot on it as well as the cardinal tetra. Strangely, all of the fish that died thus far have had little signs of Ich compared to the others and the cherry barbs were literally playing in the current having fun the day before I woke up and found them dead. Its pretty odd.

Is it not Ich? Is it velvet or something? The yellow spots were pretty large like bruises and the white specks were pretty large cysts unlike the finer stuff of Velvet. As for the scale decay, I have no clue. My Pleco seems fine throughout all of this which is strange.

Something is seriously wrong with my tank and I have no clue. I tested my water the other day and the parameters were fine. (Although the PH was slightly higher than desirable but that's unavoidable where I live). If possible I'd love to eliminate the source of disease and not throw money in the trash, haha.

..Additionally my Betta has had his Caudal fin split down the middle but its not freyed like fin rot & I don't have anything sharp in the tank that he could have ripped it on.

I have a filter (took out the carbon since I started Medicating) and a heater set at about 78 degrees F.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hi Squid - so sorry to hear about your fish loss. You didn't mention anything about your water parameters or changes, but here are a couple of links that might be helpful. I'm keeping you in my prayers and sending positive thoughts your way.
Links to Betta Fish Care tropicalfishkeeping.com/betta-fish-articles/betta-fish-care-367770 AND bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi Squid - so sorry to hear about your fish loss. You didn't mention anything about your water parameters or changes, but here are a couple of links that might be helpful. I'm keeping you in my prayers and sending positive thoughts your way.
Links to Betta Fish Care tropicalfishkeeping.com/betta-fish-articles/betta-fish-care-367770 AND bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332
Thanks, LittleStar.

I have edited the main post about water parameters. No Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites but a slightly higher PH than 7. I am currently doing about 20% water changes with gravel vac every morning & treating my water. I am not re-adding salt since I added it initially only because I did not have medication at hand (Hopefully I can re add my plants sometime soon so I can make sure the water conditions stay good). My Pleco does have driftwood to eat in the tank. Not sure if that's important info but I'll add it anyways.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My fish are still dying. I've lost all my cardinals now and my betta & BN pleco are all that are left. Quite frankly, I'm at a loss. My cardinals died right after I noticed a pale spot (or tarnished) on their scales. I fished them all out, put them into a stronger salt solution and one by one they were dying. On each of their bodies after they died the pale spots grew larger. I have an image but I'll have to wait until I get home to connect my camera to my computer. On my cherry barbs the dot was yellowish rather than the pale white/ lack of pigment on the cardinals.

Is it bacterial? The Medicine I'm currently treating them with is for parasite infections and my pleco & betta may have what looks like early fin rot (but very minor).
I'll test my water again today (but I doubt that's the problem since I'm doing regular 20% water changes & re-adding salt/medication).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts