Tropical Fish Keeping banner

41 - 60 of 279 Posts

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
Yea, when they propagate they just drop off a little piece of limb, it floats off and sets up camp somewhere else. They can stay shrunk up for a long time, so don't worry any, if it starts to dissolve, then you have a problem.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
So I'm going thru stocking options for my 29g tank. I know i want two ocellaris clowns again. I was wondering if i can keep a black ocellaris with an orange clown and not run into any problems.

Also I am unable to add another pair of clowns to my 50g of a different color pattern or species right?

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
The Amphiprion Ocellaris are pretty good about being together, if you have just those. If you mix a Ocellaris and Clarkii, the Clarkii will kill the Occalaris. Same with a Tomato and a Clarkii, but that would be a tough battle. Keeping The Nemos, even the Black and White ones are your best bet if you plan on keeping more than one.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Alright cool. It's a shame the black and white versions cost so much more. It would be cool to have both paired versions in my 50g.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Try Harlequin shrimp... aka clown shrimp. The eat hitch hikers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fish Recommendations?

Hi All,

Recently, I've set up a 36 gallon starter tank and I've got the filter, conditioning, salinity and temperature seemingly in proper order and stable for about a week. Now, I think --although I am not entirely sure-- I'm ready to begin adding fish. But before I do, I wanted to ask everybody's esteemed wisdom on what and how I should add the fish. Mind you, this is mostly for the enjoyment of my 7 yr. old. Of course, he wants a clownfish. What else if anything? Two clownfish? Will they fight for territory? He's also mentioned a starfish and a crab.

All ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
You need to test your water. Your tank will go through the Nitrogen Cycle and will be unfit for fish for up to 6 weeks.
The list of critters you wish to put in is fine. You will not have any trouble with 2 clowns.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Welcome!

As I am new to saltwater tanks I can only give you what little information I know. I'm not a professional when it becomes to the cycle though one week isn't enough. I waited about 3 weeks with live rock and live sand in my tank before I added my first two clowns and I'm not sure it was enough.

On clownfish you can have a pair in a 36g tank without issues; I plan on keeping a pair in a 29g so yeah.

Blue legged hermit crabs are an awesome addition for your tank also though I dont know about starfish.

I know someone a bit more experienced with jump in soon, but as i said. Welcome!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
You need to test your water. Your tank will go through the Nitrogen Cycle and will be unfit for fish for up to 6 weeks.
The list of critters you wish to put in is fine. You will not have any trouble with 2 clowns.
Oh see. Reefing beat me to it!
Now i know that 6 weeks is the best time.
Question for you Reefing about my 29g. I'm using live sand and live rock from an established 72g and water from both the 72g and my 50g. Could that cut down on my cycling time?

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
Oh see. Reefing beat me to it!
Now i know that 6 weeks is the best time.
Question for you Reefing about my 29g. I'm using live sand and live rock from an established 72g and water from both the 72g and my 50g. Could that cut down on my cycling time?
Oh big time, doubt you will even see a cycle using all that good stuff.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I have an empty Aqueon filter that's been running and a 250 GPH circulation pump. Its 20lbs of live sand that i got from a family member.

41 - 60 of 279 Posts