Tropical Fish Keeping banner

21 - 40 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Tank is doing great. Going to start uploading pics in a few weeks.

Didn't tell you about my first hitch hiker. Saw a few fan worms which I thought was awesome.
Today I'm seeing Shells?!? Really small, but alas I really think I see two snails? I never got snails yet nor my shrimp but I really think i see snails :shock:

I do alot of reading on the forums, I mean ALOT. I also check out other sites and stuff but it seems that when I am thinking about stuff its better to just ask.

Emerald Crabs... I like the thought of one, but I'm nervous about getting one. (when i was a kid one of my first fresh water tanks was decimated by crayfish).

·
Registered
224 Posts
I wouldn't recommend one of those buggers. I had one and he was fine for a while. Problem with crabs is they're lazy and opportunistic. Mine took a limb off my Kenya tree and a chunk out of my trumpet coral. I evicted him to my sump/refugium where he's chowing through my macro algae.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I wouldn't recommend one of those buggers. I had one and he was fine for a while. Problem with crabs is they're lazy and opportunistic. Mine took a limb off my Kenya tree and a chunk out of my trumpet coral. I evicted him to my sump/refugium where he's chowing through my macro algae.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well I don't plan on keeping coral at all, but i changed my mind on the emerald crab anyway. (I think if my fiancee saw one walking around the tank she would never go near a tank again.)

I also don't think what i saw was an astrea starfish, i could clearly see a cone and it really looks like a shell.

On another note. Saw my first amphipod. Also saw my clownfish eat my first amphipod.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Might be a Limpet?
Close i think. They are currently really tiny. Even smaller than my freshwater pond snails when i first see them.

I havent seen them since yesterday. They were on the wall of the aquarium then moved down and went toward the live rock. I hope they made it there....

That poor amphipod. The way it happened looked like a shark attack. Clownfish are relentless...

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
LOL, shark attack. Yea pretty much. Limpets start out very tiny. I'd get a pic for you from my tank, but you would not see it. I have thiusands of them. They keep my tank clean. If it is a Limpet, trun the lights out, and look in after abiut an hour, they mostly feed at night.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So an update:
Yesterday I visited the house off someone I found selling live rock. I ended up getting ALOT of live rock, which was amazing! I also got a few hitch hikers, he gave me a small sea urchin that was bothering his corals and a hermit crab was also found on a rock. Last but not least at the bottom of my bucket was an emerald crab! We had talked about it when i was there, he had multiple emeralds that didn't bother his fish, as long as they had plenty to eat off the live rock, so I am not worried :)...

Did i mention i got ALOT of live rock? I had so much that i pulled my 29g tank into my room and set it up! Waiting for it to cycle! Saltwater tank number 2!

Picked up two fish also, a pajama cardinal yesterday and today my fiancee got a royal gramma. Both are doing well!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Quick pic of the tank.
Forgot to mention the coral i got with the rocks. Kenya Tree? i think they were called. I dont have much hope for em, tank isnt really set up for corals. IMG_20130126_211224.jpg

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I hope so too. I wasn't to into coral but i like this one. My fiancee liked it. There's a little one on the rock in front of it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
+1 haha anyways funny you mention seeing up another tank....I decided one wasn't enough and I now have my 55 and a 20 long in my room because one should be able to fish watch at all times you know. Good choice on the royal Gramma. I love mine. He has a lot of personality and is very pretty.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
224 Posts
Also I might add I had a Kenya tree in my 20 long under just some piece of crap T8 light that originally came with my Aqueon 55 gallon kit. I think the tank was still not quite cycled yet too and it actually grew a little. I bet it makes it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
300 Posts
I feel for you Wilson. You made the mistake of "just a Kenya tree". You will now be hooked on corals, lol. Maybe not, but I started out with "just a green star polyp". I now have 7 corals plus a feather duster. The corals become more and more addicitng as time goes on. Tank looks great so far.

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
I feel for you Wilson. You made the mistake of "just a Kenya tree". You will now be hooked on corals, lol. Maybe not, but I started out with "just a green star polyp". I now have 7 corals plus a feather duster. The corals become more and more addicitng as time goes on. Tank looks great so far.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
question about copepods and amphipods. How big do they get? I said i saw one but i cant be sure. What i saw wasnt small; it was, i cant really explain it lol.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Alright, haven't seen any since then but ill keep an eye out.

Next question and I'm sorry for bombarding you. :oops:

I have 4 Kenya tree's, but one is like shriveled up like its bundling up for winter; he's a ll purple and not branched out at all. I've read it almost impossible to kill these guys, but he looks like he's about to do something big. Gearing up for the next step? He's not that big so it makes me wonder if he might be propagating... Does he just release a branch or something and it drifts til it finds its spot and latches on?

21 - 40 of 279 Posts