Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
WELCOME TO TFK!!!

I have a couple of Aquaclear 70 HOBs on my 60g and have a [pool filter] sand substrate and have never had a sand problem in the filters.
Is your sand too fine so it's easily raised off the bottom or as mentioned, is your intake tube too low/close to the surface of the sand?
Perhaps your sand wasn't rinsed/washed well enough to remove the finer sand particles?

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
I often really wish you would stop pugging Aquaclears.
I was NOT plugging Aquaclear filters, but identifying the exact type of HOB's I use and the fact that I've never had a problem with my [POOL FILTER] SAND. But not all SAND is created equally and if the sand being used is very fine and/or the inlet tube strainer is too close to the surface, then there may well be a problem with sand being drawn in.
I have nothing against canisters but investing $125~ in a canister filter is not the only solution for this problem.

Reactions: dramaqueen

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
One need not spend that kind of money on a canister.
I was merely ball parking which was why I included the tilde ~

To mention the top contenders...

> Eheim Classic is about $85
> Fluval 306 is about $120
> Rena Filstar XP2 is about $100

These are current rounded Amazon prices for canisters suitable for a 60g (assuming free shipping), retail would likely be $20-$40 more. (also presumes they all come with appropriate media).

I like to solve problems at the root cause and If we keep the sand on the bottom where it belongs it won't bother the filter. But if MitchellLion wants to buy a canister filter, it's okay with me as long as he doesn't ask me for the money ;-)

Footnote: This may also be a potential problem for folks with much smaller tanks that can use a solution other than a canister filter.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
In fact OP you really could potentially go with an all out duel Sponge Filter system. People often heavily underestimate just how well these Sponge Filters can keep small-mid sized tanks running well. Of course you really need to have a well planted tank for this to be viable.
Well, at least your thinking outside the [canister] box. ;-)

Reactions: dramaqueen

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Thanks for the welcoming
Yes I got filters that hang off the back
Marineland filters (which broke easier)
And Fluval (which was much quieter but still broke)
I think the best for option for me I think would be to use a sponge around the intake for now and look into buying a canister later,
And yes there are a couple of my fish who kick up sand
Thanks for all the help this problem was really discouraging me for a while.
Posted via Mobile Device
Make sure the bottom of your inlet strainer is about 4" from the top of the sand. The sponge prefilter will [also] help solve the problem, but you may find that it will quickly restrict flow and may need rinsing as much as twice a week. Make sure to get at least two so you can swap back and forth quickly and easily.
Also it goes without saying that the filter should be off during water changes and/or whenever you disturb the sand.

Try to ignore the sarcasm posted. Some folks just like to 'debate'. But when somebody reports a flat tire, the first solution isn't necessarily to buy a new Cadillac...not that a new Cadillac wouldn't be nice mind you. ;-)

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Once again this was not about Aquaclear as it's magnetic driven impeller is no different than most other HOB's. I merely described that I have a HOB and sand and never have sand in the filter. But I have pool filter sand that I leave undisturbed and my fish and flow rates can't kick the sand high enough to get to the inlet strainer that is about 3-4" from the surface of the sand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.