Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Canister filters are impervious to sand - your tank is certainly large enough for one.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Before I converted my tanks to canisters, I battled sand issues with AquaClears in a couple tanks - particularly the one with the caribsea supernaturals moonlight sand. It's beach sand fine and fouled every HOB. With the aquaclears, I had extra filters on hand and would just swap out the motors. I found them easier to clean once they dried.

An example of how fine that sand was - you can see it getting carried away in the water. Switching to a canister solved that problem instantly.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I have nothing against canisters but investing $125~ in a canister filter is not the only solution for this problem.
One need not spend that kind of money on a canister.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
You can buy new canisters (with free shipping) for half those prices. But what do I know....

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I like to solve problems at the root cause and If we keep the sand on the bottom where it belongs it won't bother the filter.
I've found a nice PowerPoint presentation is all that's needed to convince the fish to keep the sand where it belongs ;-)

Reactions: Olympia

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Yes, forums are full of people who like to debate, as well as pontificate. The two generally don't mix well though. One need not buy a new cadillac to fix a flat tire - that's just ridiculous.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
The correct metaphor would be getting a different kind of tire if one had a problem with flats, not an entirely new vehicle.

Yes, they can get sand in them, but the sand does not foul the motor. Yes, they are not impervious in that they let sand in. They are impervious in that they are not affected by it. The reason sand fouls HOBs is because the motor is at the bottom. Canisters have their motors on the top.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I'm pretty certain all 14 of my loaches would look at that and then go on a digging spree to spite me..
I had to show it to mine twice - stubborn buggers they are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.