Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, have just joined- i was invited to this forum after someone saw a picture of my tank on myspace, so i thought what better way to make your first post than to submit the picture that brought me to this forum.

I havent been keeping up with water changes this last month, and its just had a trim, it will be looking alot better at the end of the month, hope you like it, well here it is.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hi Andrew, and welcome to the forum!!

What a beautiful tank, it's so natural looking! What do you have in there?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Well lets see, riccia small specimen of cabomba, hairgrass this other bushy plant that i will have to dig out the name of, a variety of Anubia(large and small leaves) java fern various crypts tiger lotus lilly redX2 few others that i only know the latin for, will have to dig out list- oh and java moss.

I should have said it has 4x30 watt tubes for 6 1/2 hours illumination a day, CO2 injection pH6.8 Gh4 Kh3 26degrees C

Oh and its 10 weeks old.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont know bout a trim, it was trimmed bout 5 weeks back, i think it needs a while before its next trim, i need new tubes i think- might envigorate more growth!
This is only the begining- i have an amano plan for growth!

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Hello and welcome aboard, Andrew.:wave:

I was thinking about Takashi Amano, Andrew.:mrgreen: Your tank beats some of Amano's any day.:mrgreen:

:shock2: You'll have a great load of beauty added if discus are in it.:love: And then some rummy-nose tetras and diamond tetras.:checkedout:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its not that big 180 litres, i havae kept discus before but they are too much hassle and feeding bloodowrm every day is large load for a planted aquarium.
here is a pic of how the tank used to look.

i am not a fan of rummies, i am when i am ready going to put in 50 cardinals- all lil babies and grow them on to a might impressiive shoal.
I have kept so many species of fish, you cant help but marvel at a healthy shoal of deep red cardinals in a deep green tank- once the tank is emerald green in go the fish lol :) hopefully christmas time.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Great planted aquarium! Looks awesome before and after! Your java fern are amazing...How did they grow so nicely/big! Great job cant wait to see the shoal of cardinals :D :p

Nick

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Andrew, do you still have the rams? I have 6 at the moment.:checkedout:
Yours look nice. I've never had veiltail rams.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
java fern- nope no special trick to it- just left them to it- just two small specimens thats all they were bless em! they have grafted themselves onto the driftwood to the rear now- i cheated with the anubia just bought them all lol :)

Rams died sadly lasted over a year, is that what they are veil tail, i just knew they werent the common peruvian variety- i think they were already mature when i bought them. They were good fish very inquisitive and like all cichlids quie intelligent they each had their own personality- and nothin picked on them. A pair spawned but nothing came of their efforts.

I cant wait to see the cardinals either lol, and as for comparing me to Amano well thats just blasphamy lol!

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Hi Andrew.:wave:

Yes, they are veiltails. Stunning fish.:thumbsup:
My rams are from different generations. The last surviving ram of the 1st batch prior to comeback this year I bought is now about 9 months old(more like 10). He's 6 cm in size. That's far too big for an average ram I think.

The 5 young ones are probably siblings. All bought at the same time last September. They're about 5-6 months. These ones are by far the most beautiful rams I've kept. They look like wild species to me although more likely an F1 generation. The way they color up makes me think why I have not seen a lot of that with several rams I've kept and seen before.

I did own some rams 4 years ago but the current ones are better.:mrgreen:

P.S. These rams are such pests for ripping my black angelfish's fins.

Andrew said:
thats just blasphamy
It's still a plain truth.:checkedout:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers people- ok i never said what fish are in there- ok i have 3 cardinals 12 shrimp ish you can never count them- 2 male dwarf rainbows and one fighter male who is a striking blue!

Once again thanks for all the comments, hopefully i can get it looking better by the end of the month!

To the moderators out there, should i start a new post with updates or keep this one going? Some forum moderators like to clock up the numbers, others like less clutter lol :)

·
Registered
891 Posts
You can keep this thread going. It's easier to locate pics when they are all in the same thread :D

I would love to see pics of all your fish! :) What kind of shrimp do you have?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have amano shrimp- id say about 12 ish they never keep still so its hard to know exactly how many you have?
I have thought about the more colourful cherry but i have heard shrimp are territorial, and if its a choice between the 2 i will stick with the amano, apparently it is the more hardworking of the two.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts