Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend, I'm moving my 2 blood parrot cichlids into a 46 gallon bow front tank. They reside with a rainbow shark, who will be making the move with them and 4 golden gouramis, who may or may not be making the move. I don't care for the incessant chasing the gouramis do, although they only chase their own. It makes me a stressful fish mom.

So..... with the 2 cichlids and the rainbow, what do you think would blend well as tankmates in the 45 gallon? I do love my cichlids. They have so much personality.

Thanks for your time and opinions! :)

·
Registered
712 Posts
blood parrots if I remeber right get pretty big so not much but you can definatly add smaller fish like convicts(just don't get a pair or you won't hear the end of it).

·
Registered
8 Posts
hi

i think that the following would be fine in your tank

.flowerhorn
.oscar
.medium pleco
.synodontis
.texas cichlid
.jack dempsey
.silver sharks
.fire eel
.green terror
.red terror
.black belt cichlid
.pangasius
.vieja synspila

could go on but these are just a few

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
hi

i think that the following would be fine in your tank

.flowerhorn
.oscar
.medium pleco
.synodontis
.texas cichlid
.jack dempsey
.silver sharks
.fire eel
.green terror
.red terror
.black belt cichlid
.pangasius
.vieja synspila

could go on but these are just a few
I have some serious disagreement with this list. Oscar's get far to large for the tank size, and do so quickly. The Texas Cichlid, Jack Dempsey, Green Terror, and Red Terror are far to aggressive for a Blood Parrot in a small tank like this one. Silver Sharks are brachish. I am not familiar with some of the other selections, but without looking them up I suspect there are problems there are well.

In fact, I am not sure this post is real and will be monitoring the response. This information is so bad that i wonder if you are attempting to sabotage the tank in question.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In fact, I am not sure this post is real and will be monitoring the response. This information is so bad that i wonder if you are attempting to sabotage the tank in question.
I'm grateful for your response. I'm also grateful I'm not a fishkeeping virgin. I already realize that some of the fish mentioned would quickly outgrow this tank and I'm not a fan of stunting growth in my fish.

Thanks for watching out for me.

My particular rainbow shark is very peaceful. Yes, she guards her private space, but she doesn't attack and has never caused harm to another fish. I'm fairly certain she'd be fine with just about any new tankmates.

I'm thinking I'd like to perhaps add a dwarf cichlid to this tank. As I'm new to the world of cichlids, suggestions are welcome.

I don't want any fish that will get larger, or even as large, as my parrots. I would like them to be my centerpiece. Can I have more than 2 of them? Perhaps one more?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Lynda,

I kept a Blood Parrot and Gold Severum together for nearly 12 years in a 55 gallon tank. I found they are rather passive to most tank mates. My preference was a nice school of larger Tetras, such as Congo's. You would also have no trouble at all with Jurapari. Check out the Jurapari surinamensis. You will love it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
how about a couple angelfish?

·
Registered
16 Posts
This weekend, I'm moving my 2 blood parrot cichlids into a 46 gallon bow front tank. They reside with a rainbow shark, who will be making the move with them and 4 golden gouramis, who may or may not be making the move.

i have wondered if i could house 2 blood parrots with my gouramis. anyone else have experience with this?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
The Blue Gourami members, including the Gold, Opaline, 3 Spot, etc, should all be fine with a Blood Parrot, as would a Moonlight Gourami. I would avoid the "Giant" Gourami (Colisa fasciata) and the True Giant Gourami (Osphronemus gourami).

I think Angelfish would be a poor choice. If nothing else, the Blood Parrot are just to boisterous.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Blue Gourami members, including the Gold, Opaline, 3 Spot, etc, should all be fine with a Blood Parrot, as would a Moonlight Gourami. I would avoid the "Giant" Gourami (Colisa fasciata) and the True Giant Gourami (Osphronemus gourami).
thank you! i have always wanted a pair, but was worried about my gouramis being its tankmates! they may be on my future fish list now!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My golden gouramis do not bother either the rainbow or the cichlids, if that's what people were looking to find out. So, if you're a big golden gourami fan, I can personally recommend them. I think they're gorgeous, they're just too "who can I beat up now?" for my taste. I like a calm tank. My fish tanks are my zen. I need the peace they offer me, not the wars.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My golden gouramis do not bother either the rainbow or the cichlids, if that's what people were looking to find out. So, if you're a big golden gourami fan, I can personally recommend them. I think they're gorgeous, they're just too "who can I beat up now?" for my taste. I like a calm tank. My fish tanks are my zen. I need the peace they offer me, not the wars.
i hear ya haha. thats why i wondered about them and the blood parrots. they don't seem to bug anyone else but eachother, but sometimes i wonder about that aggression. i do love my gold gouramis, even though my fiancee told me they were boring lol.

·
Registered
712 Posts
How big are your BP now? blood parrots are sort of like oscars. Most are fairly placid while some can be monsters. Watch your fishes personality as they grow but so far I don't see anything wrong with the suggested stock.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My larger BP is maybe half the size of a baseball, although not that round. LOL

The smaller one is maybe two-thirds the size of a golf ball. Ditto on the roundness. ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Some of my research yesterday led me to blue ram cichlids as a tank mate for my BP's. Would the blue ram also be compatible with my rainbow shark?

At this point, I think I'm just going to bring all of my golden gouramis to my fish guy. They seem to be the speedbump in this tank for me. :-?

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Some of my research yesterday led me to blue ram cichlids as a tank mate for my BP's. Would the blue ram also be compatible with my rainbow shark?
I don't think say Lynda. Blue Rams are very delicate, and the nitrogenous compounds produced by large fish like Blood Parrots would make it difficult to maintain the water quality you are looking for.

When you read "Blue Rams", think "Discus".

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've never really been a discus kind of girl..... but then again, I never had the fish combo I have now. It's pretty interesting how your taste changes and grows as you become exposed to more species. ;-)

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
You might be ok with Bolivian rams, though. They're considerably hardier (i.e. more tolerant of a wider range of water conditions) than blue rams. They're also a bit larger and less shy, so might get along better with the parrots.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts