Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5 gallon planted cherry shrimp tank that became besieged with tiny snails after I failed to bleach an incoming plant shipment due to laziness on my part. I now have 3 assassin snails in the 5 gallon tank. As best as I can tell, they are terrible at hunting. I have personally witnessed the pest snails crawling across the back of the "assassins." They have been in the tank for about 6 months.

There are approx. 10 million snails in the tank, manual removal during cleaning seems to keep them down to a manageable level. Are my assassins only killing the once they reach a certain size? I have yet to see one break 2 millimeters, despite having had the pests for at least 6 months. Could such tiny snails be hurting the shrimp in any way? I don't really mind them except I worry for the shrimp.

Do I need more assassin snails? Is there anything else I can use that won't hurt the shirmp? I don't have any snail problems in other tanks, but all of my other tanks contain fish that would gladly eat the shrimp as well as snails, so I am somewhat at a loss for what to do with the shrimp tank.

The shrimp tank also contains a single flame tetra (h. flammeus) who has a swim bladder problem and has difficulty stabilizing himself. This has been constant since when I bought the lot of them. When put in a 29g with the other flames they terrorize him constantly, otherwise he would be with others of his own kind.

Thank you so much for reading.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.