Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Halo , nice to meet you guys . :)

I'm worrying about this annoying thing, the water quality of my aquarium. :(

Last night, I have fully changed my fish tank's water( the water for my aquarium is rain water ) and some non-iodized salt added to my fish tank but I saw the water quality is still not 'OK' in this morning and I wonder why the water turns to light green/ green in a short time , I always hope that my fish tank's water is clear but I can't achieved it .

* I can see the fish clearly in front view but got hazy in side view.

Any advices / helps about my aquarium's water quality ? Your advices/helps here are much appreciated !

HERE THE INFO ( MY AQUARIUM's STATUS) :
-8 three spot gourami / blue gourami
-1 tilapia
-Not a planted tank yet ( I'm planning to make my fish tank a planted tank.)
-Got filter system and air-supply

HERE THE PICS :

Attachments

·
Registered
817 Posts
Green water may mean you have algae of some type. Live plants might eat what the algae eats and reduce your algae to a livable amount. Or reduce the time the lights are on. Does your tank get sunlight?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Why do you add salt?

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I too wonder why you add salt.

Looks like green water to me. The quick and easy fix is to get a green killing machine (UV sterilizer). Sometimes green water is an incident, and other times its a problem. If you have constant issues with green water, then you should try to figure out why. If its something that just happens from time to time, then the UV is a good solution.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
How do you collect the rain water for this tank?? Is that water outside in a rain bucket till you do water changes? Is it in direct sun light?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies ! :D

Well, I add the salt because I thought the salt will kill the algae and some bacteria...don't know if it is wrong or right to put the salt into the aquarium. :p My aquarium is not 100% direct to the sunlight but got a bit sunlight in the evening.

I got a big enough water tank to collect the rain water (it got filter too) and it is near the aquarium so I can change the water easily and no need to worry about the tap water.

Add UV sterilizer? Oh, its sounds new to me and I don't know if my dad will buy it for me( I'm still a teenager :p ) .

And again, are the aquatic plants will reduce the production of 'green water' ? My dad have gave me some aquatic plants that got from the streams AND I DON'T KNOW HOW THE HELL TO PLANT IT INTO THE AQUARIUM SO I JUST INSERT IT INTO THE GRAVEL , hope the aquatic plants will grow bigger and have more roots later ? any advices about the plants?

HERE THE PICS :
(What type/name of the aquatic plants? )

(I JUST INSERT IT INTO THE GRAVEL, NO IDEA HOW TO PLANT IT , is it the right way ?)
(I also done the water change.)

(With fish)

*PS : will the swamp cabbage I added on the water increase the production of 'green water' ?

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
Hi, the plant is called stonewort or Charales. It's more of a macroalgae than a plant. It's growth cannot be controlled.... and is an extremeeeellly messy grower.They should howeer, help with water quality :) great plant for frys to hide in!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reply ! :D It is good to hear that stonewort is a messy grower and help with my water quality...But today, I go checked my aquarium and saw that these stonewart being sucked and stucked at the filter system, what need to do with the filter system? Should I insert these stonewort more deeper into the gravel? o_O

Will the stonewort harm other type of aquatic plant? And stonewort will grow more in a short time right?

Need more advices , thanks . :X
(I'm worry the water turn a bit into light green water again. :( )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts