Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any suggestions needed for Betta lying down.

Hi fellow members,

When you create a new topic we will need to ask a number of questions about your situation so we can best determine how to help you. To speed up the process, we ask that you have the following information available at the time of your first post:

1. Size of aquarium (# of gallons) 1 gal hospital. Prev 10 gal.
2. Is your aquarium setup freshwater or brackish water? Fresh
3. How long the aquarium has been set up? Hospital, 1 wk. Prev 6 mo.
4. What fish and how many are in the aquarium (species are important to know) 1. Prev 4 tetras and 3 guppies.
5. Are there live plants in the aquarium? No
6. What temperature is the tank water currently? 80 F.
7. What make/model filter are you using? None
8. Are you using a CO2 unit? No
9. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? No
10. When did you perform your last water exchange, and how much water was changed? Daily 100% in hospital
11. How often do you perform water changes? Daily
12. How often and what foods do you feed your fish? Currently Fasting. Beta flakes
13. What type of lighting are you using and how long is it kept on? 7 watt light. 24/7
14. What specific concerns bring you here at this time? Betta has been lying on his side with his head propped up for 2 weeks.
15. What are your water parameters? Test your pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. PH 7.8, ammonia 0, nitrate .5
16. What test kit are you using and is it liquid or test strips? Jungle strips.
17. When was the last time you bought a fish and how did they behave while in the pet store tank? One month. Fine and frisky.

Thanks and good luck!:)
Mojo is in a 1 gal "hospital" with only a glass blob to prop his head on. On the advice of another forum, the tank is completely bare so I could see if he pooped. I haven't seen any, so a 3 day fast, ending with a pea was suggested. We are on the first day of that fast. The water is treated with Betta water conditioner and 1 drop per 2 gal of water Quick Cure. He's been hanging on, mostly resting. Doesn't seem to have labored breathing and gets to the top for air pretty easily. I first treated him with CopperSafe for 2 days, but I was told it's not truly safe and so I started the Quick Cure. He has been Quick Cure for 4 days.
Tonight, I posted a picture on that site and got the message that this was "not good" and I might need to consider euthanasia. I found this site and am posting for a second opinion because I care for this fish and, though I don't want to be selfish and keep him alive if he's suffering and should pass on, I don't want to be hasty if he has a chance.
We thought he had velvet, so the Quick Cure was used. I'm not seeing the gold on the sides of his head, behind his gills, that I was seeing. However, he seems to be less active, now.
We can't discern any bloating, no raised scales. His eyes are very cloudy.
He seemed quite happy in his previous tank for the last 4 months, since I brought him home. Then, a couple of weeks ago, he became steadily less active, so we bought the hospital and moved him in.
If I could figure out how to post a picture here, I would do so. Even if the sight of him makes my second opinion the same as the first.

thanks,
janilee

1 - 1 of 1 Posts