Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently purchased the aqueon 29 gallon deluxe kit. Im not sure exactly what filter came with it (between a quietflow 20 or 30). I added a new fluval aqua clear 30 to run alongside the quietflow. Today I discovered that this filter is LOUD and I was wondering if its okay to set one filter on a timer while I sleep then turn back on in the morning and keep the quietflow on 24/7. Will turning off the filter for an extended period of time prevent or affect biological filtration? Thank you all in advance.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Very interesting question about the bacterial filtration. Aquaclear shouldn't be tooo loud. Try removing the motor , pull out the magnet/ impeller and coat the post that the impeller sits on with silicone lubricant. If that doesn't work for you I would say get another of the quietflow and sell or trade the aquaclear.

I love aquaclear. Its the only filter I'll use, but certain noises bother some people more than others so I hope you'll find a solution that works for you.

Best wishes to you and your fish.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very interesting question about the bacterial filtration. Aquaclear shouldn't be tooo loud. Try removing the motor , pull out the magnet/ impeller and coat the post that the impeller sits on with silicone lubricant. If that doesn't work for you I would say get another of the filter that's quiet and sell or trade the aquaclear.

I just opened it up and used vaseline to lubricate the impeller. So far the results are unbelievably significant. Right now im just debating if i should substitute the activated carbon media in the filter for more mechanical filtration or biological.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I've long ago stopped using carbon - would rather have an extra bag of biomax in there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm since the quietflows cartridges already contain carbon, I can just swap those without having to worry about a mini cycle thanks to my secondary filter. Now its just a debate on which will be more beneficial to me, another filter pad or biomax

1 - 6 of 6 Posts