Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to add a new filter to my 10 gallon because I don't really like my current filter and I was wondering if I could run two filter on one tank (I have guppies if it matters). If the current is too strong and I only should have one filter should I swap it immediately or wait a little for bb to colonize it?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I am planning to add a new filter to my 10 gallon because I don't really like my current filter and I was wondering if I could run two filter on one tank (I have guppies if it matters). If the current is too strong and I only should have one filter should I swap it immediately or wait a little for bb to colonize it?
I run 2 filters on my 75 gallon. A cascade 300 and a Marineland penguin 350. I'm of the belief that there is no such thing as too much filtration. Get a filter that will let you adjust the flow and run em both :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you are changing from one filter to another you would want to transfer your "seeded" filter material from the old filter to the new filter.

If you can not transfer the seeded filter material you would need to run both filters for several weeks to allow the new filter to acquire the "seed" from the old filter.

I hope this make sense!!!! :|

You don't mention what type of filter you currently have and what you are replacing it with....

I only use sponge filters on my 10 gallons, no hang on backs or power filters. I love sponge filters...

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I run 2 filters on tanks 4 feet and up. I don't think it's necessary to run 2 filters on a 10 gallon tank though. CAN you? Of course. But a 10 gallon is so small - if you need more than 1 filter to get the job done, then you've got some super weak filters.

What is the old filter and what is the new one?

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
what tracy bird said...
but also guppies enjoy a good current so it shouldn't bother them. But how many do you have in there?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think I can transfer the seed material cause they are two very different types of filter.

The old one is tetra 10i, it's not that weak but I also have other reasons for changing it.

The new one will be a hang on back, either aqueon or aquaclear.

I have 4 guppies.

Thanks for the replies :)

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I don't think I can transfer the seed material cause they are two very different types of filter.

The old one is tetra 10i, it's not that weak but I also have other reasons for changing it.

The new one will be a hang on back, either aqueon or aquaclear.

I have 4 guppies.

Thanks for the replies :)
It doesn't matter that they are different - take a pair of scissors to the old one and you'll find a way :)

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I went out and bought a aqueon quiet flow 10, the two filters won't fit in the hood slot so the hood will have to be crooked for a while. I'll probably just keep it like this until the filter gets established.

One last question, the aqueon filter cartridge has carbon in it and doesn't appear like it can open up, is there any way to get rid of the carbon without ruining the cartridge itself?

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
You can take a sharp knife and slice across the top of the cartidge then dump it out. I see no problem leaving it in and then don't worry about replacing it like they tell you to. If you can't fit both filters, then do the same thing with your old biobag from the tetra 10i and stuff that in the back of your new filter.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had a 10i for a while. All you need is the "cloth" that is over the plastic rectangle thingie.. sorry for the technical terms.. LOL

You can cut it with a sissor to get it off if need too and then just lay it over the new filter pad. I did this from my 10I to my quietflow 30 .. infact the old one is STILL IN THERE after over a year. Youd just toss the hard plastic thing that the cloth sits on and the carbon that's inside.

I just recently used my sponge on a QT tank that had a very sick fish in it. The fish didn't make it so I sanitized the QT and decided to toss the sponge filter just incase some stuff got into it I didn't want to xfer back to my main tank. my main tank now had 10 gallons or so of less filtration so I booted up my 10i again and put a knee high pantyhose filled with Substrat pro (Eheim, like the ones for aquaclear) and now it's running in my 29 LOL .. filters are a motor and a box with stuff in it. What that stuff is, is your choice.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hello Folks;
Not to confuse issues but having two filter would offer heterotrophic bacteria an advantage over the more desirable autotrophic bacteria. The competition between the two bacteria for surface area could limit or eliminate the effectiveness of autotrophic nitrifying bacteria. The principle limiting factor controlling populations of heterotrophic bacteria is the availability of organic carbon that comes from fish poo and excess food. where is this organic carbon found in quantities in the filter media with the heterotrophic bacteria …. Autotrophic bacteria is mostly in the substrate,.

caution: just because I have an opinion isn’t proof I know what I am talking about!

pop

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Hello Folks;
Not to confuse issues but having two filter would offer heterotrophic bacteria an advantage over the more desirable autotrophic bacteria. The competition between the two bacteria for surface area could limit or eliminate the effectiveness of autotrophic nitrifying bacteria. The principle limiting factor controlling populations of heterotrophic bacteria is the availability of organic carbon that comes from fish poo and excess food. where is this organic carbon found in quantities in the filter media with the heterotrophic bacteria …. Autotrophic bacteria is mostly in the substrate,.

caution: just because I have an opinion isn’t proof I know what I am talking about!

pop
Perhaps you can expound on this - then we shall see if you know what you are talking about :)

How would having 2 filters offer one bacteria an advantage?

How is the competition for surface area any different with 2 filters versus 1?

If autotrophic bacteria is in fact primarily in the substrate, how do the filters have any impact on that? And how is there competition for real estate if one prefers the filter and the other the substrate?

I think that there is a point at which theory loses practicality, and in my opinion this is a perfect example. I think that this "greater understanding" about the ins and outs of the bacteria is largely irrelevant to the vast majority of keepers and their tanks. It may be 100% correct, or maybe it's not - I don't know. However, one thing of which I am certain is that whichever the case may be, it will make absolutely no difference to my fish tanks or how I keep them. I run multiple filters on each tank - I don't have any issues with ammonia or nitrite. Really, that's all that matters - 0 is 0. Keeping fish can be as easy or as difficult as we want to make it for ourselves. There's nothing wrong with getting lost in the science - we are all in the hobby for our own reasons, though they can vary greatly from keeper to keeper. But at the end of the day, what's most important is 0 ppm ammonia and 0 ppm nitrite. Fish keeping is not rocket science and nature needs no direction from us.

Reactions: NewFishFiend

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Given that the surface area of just the glass of a tank can support an active and effective nitrogen cycle, I fail to see how there is any sort of competition for surface area whatsoever, particularly if we add substrate, filters etc. which will serve to increase the available surface area by at least four fold and add a level of efficiency due to the movement of the water.

Competition is less the issue than straight up availability of nutrients and, for the most part, ammonia and nitrites will be evenly distributed throughout the water volume. The organisms will propagate up to the point where supply and demand are balanced... which organisms they might be and where they decide to take up residence is of little importance. Even scientific studies have a hard time determining which ones are present where and in what ratios let alone us trying to figure it out in our aquariums.

I like Jaysee's zero is zero as that does sum it up.

I also like getting into the science of it, to a point, and figuring out minimal applications or breaking something down to its simplest functional form. In that vein I have been playing with the glass container cycle for the last month and change. More tinkering left yet... its not going to include fish though.

Jeff.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Did you forget to finish typing or something?...

Or is it maybe my age has actually surpassed my ability to keep up with new communication slang :-?
Hah... Q!

Jeff.

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
hahaha.. Ws going to say something on my phone but was in the middle of cooking dinner and did't realize I hit send opps. Then thought better to stay out of this hahha

but I love the letter that made it through:lol:

In the less simplified version of my very eloquent original statement. I see no reason that I can make sense of that two filters could impeed on your bb growth.. It will be in two different areas but what does that matter? Is it any different then having a much larger HOB and added media? I am still running 0-0-0 on my two filter tank right now. Therefor whats the issue? or better yet "F" :lol: No idea where that letter was going hahaha

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
or better yet "F" :lol: No idea where that letter was going hahaha
Um, i can think of a few directions but NONE are suitable for the forum.... perhaps thats why you aborted the post.... or realized it was the wrong forum?:shock:

Two filters just acting as one larger filter.... probably as close an approximation of what would happen as any.

Jeff.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts