Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I previously had a beautiful freshwater tank set up with heaps of live plants but due to a long overseas trip I had to dismantle the tank 馃槶. I ended up putting some of the plants from the tank into our outdoor pond which pretty much does its own thing. It is a still pond with no filtration or human intervention of any kind. The plants have gone crazy and the pond is now full of them.
My question is, would it be ok to move some of the plants out of the pond back into my new indoor tank setup which is currently underway in a fishless ammonia cycle? The plants will undoubtedly have algae and snails on them but I am also worried about any other nasties that may have ended up on them. I only have the one tank so no quarrantine tank to put them in. Should I give them a weak bleach bath first and then put them in or should I err on the side of caution and start again with store bought plants?
Your opinions and/or experience would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Registered
I think it would be perfectly fine as long as you bleached AND boiled the plants but if you see snails or much on them you shouldn't put them in your tank.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
I think it would be perfectly fine as long as you bleached AND boiled the plants but if you see snails or much on them you shouldn't put them in your tank.
Thanks so much for your reply! I will check them over thoroughly and if they look ok I think I'll go ahead and put them in :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts