Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Moving on up....24L to 60L!

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  HerMooness 
#1 ·
Ok, so I'm upgrading from a 24L to a 60L. (That's upgrading Hayley...not starting a new tank...no you're NOT starting a new one!!)

I have 2 Glowlights, 2 Penguin Tetras and 4 Male Guppies.

The tank I'm having isn't brand new, its used and has been up in the 'in-laws' loft for aaaages. (So its having a good old scrub tomo)

Question 1:....what do I clean it with that will make it come up best but not contaminate it?

It comes with a filter but no filter media. Previous owner of the tank said not to use carbon (like whats in my current filter) but "green stuff" (I know....helpful right). Apparently carbon filters can remove nutrients which are needed by plants too, and as I want this tank to be planted I'm guessing I won't be using that. So

Question 2: What filter media can I use and what do you suggest would be best?

I'm planning to change to sand as my substrate for the tank so I cannot move the gravel into this new one. I appreciate that a large portion of the biofilter is down to the substrate so although I have many decorations and some mature filter media to chuck in, the tank is going to have to cycle again.

Question 3: How do I minimise the time it takes for this upgrade to cycle? and

Question 4: Do I need to add the fish a few at a time like I did when I first started up my old tank, from my old tank or can they all move at once?

I'd like to be able to move them as quickly as possible as my old tanks is on a bedside cabinet atm. (Nothing scarier than being nose to nose with a silhouette of a fish in the middle of the night before the rational side of the brain kicks in!:shock:)

Question 5: Have I forgotten anything?! Lol!

Thanks ever so much in advance! Apologies for the essay. Just don't want to mess anything up!

See less See more
#2 ·
Ok, so I'm upgrading from a 24L to a 60L. (That's upgrading Hayley...not starting a new tank...no you're NOT starting a new one!!)
I have 2 Glowlights, 2 Penguin Tetras and 4 Male Guppies.
The tank I'm having isn't brand new, its used and has been up in the 'in-laws' loft for aaaages. (So its having a good old scrub tomo)

Question 1:....what do I clean it with that will make it come up best but not contaminate it?
If it is just dust/dirt, warm water with a clean sponge will work. If you come across deposits of minerals or caked on algae, a good scraper even an old razor blade can be useful, just be careful not to scratch the glass. Adding vinegar may help, just rinse very well after. Bleach can be used to disinfect but this is only something to consider with disease, etc, and I wouldn't worry about that after this much time.

It comes with a filter but no filter media. Previous owner of the tank said not to use carbon (like whats in my current filter) but "green stuff" (I know....helpful right). Apparently carbon filters can remove nutrients which are needed by plants too, and as I want this tank to be planted I'm guessing I won't be using that. So

Question 2: What filter media can I use and what do you suggest would be best?
We will need to know the type of filter. If you can't find a name, a photo should tell us.

I'm planning to change to sand as my substrate for the tank so I cannot move the gravel into this new one. I appreciate that a large portion of the biofilter is down to the substrate so although I have many decorations and some mature filter media to chuck in, the tank is going to have to cycle again.

Question 3: How do I minimise the time it takes for this upgrade to cycle?
As you intend live plants, plant the tank well at the beginning. Floating plants are especially helpful here. Then a few fish can go in with no "cycling" issues.

Question 4: Do I need to add the fish a few at a time like I did when I first started up my old tank, from my old tank or can they all move at once?
As mentioned above, with live plants you can add fish immediately. If you have lots of plants, including floating, the fish mentioned will be fine. I usually let a new/re-done tank run overnight before adding fish, just to make sure no leaks, filter/heater operating properly, etc.

Byron.

Reactions: HerMooness
#4 ·
Perhaps this is a Fluval U2? Photo attached. And here's a review from PFK which says it is a pretty darn good filter.
Fluval U2 internal filter review | Features | Practical Fishkeeping

One item of the media is a sponge or foam block, and this is the most important. You can buy these online or in fish stores that carry Hagen products. Make sure you get the one for the U2 so it will fit.

As for other media, with live plants you are better off without it. Just the foam/sponge.

If this is not the filter you have, ignore all this.:lol:

Byron.

Attachments

#6 ·
It looks similar to that but not quite. The cavity for filter media is 10x6cm. It has an adjustable flow rate on it, a venturi bubbly thing and some other knob on the back which I'm not sure about! :) its one of these... Fluval 2 Plus internal filter, Fluval Internal Filters
I've seen sponge and polyester thrown around, what would be best? What's the difference?

That link says that the older series is discontinued and the newer "U" series is the new version. So I would get just a sponge/foam insert, as my prevous comments apply (only filtration needed with plants is the foam/sponge). The ones for the new "U" series might fit. They can be cut with scissors if they are a bit larger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.