Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Had 4 angelfish in a 10 gallon tank so decided it was definitely time to upgrade to a 40 gallon one instead. Bought it secondhand gave it a good clean (no soap) and set it up 2 days ago with water and 2 filters. Checked the pH of both tanks a day they were both similar colours suggesting 7.6. Moved the four fish with some of old water into the tank this morning. Just realized now from reading other posts that I should have let the new tank cycle for 2 weeks or so but too late now 馃槩 the four fish are all at the top of the tank with their noses out of the water and now I'm really worried. They've been like this for the last hour. Hopefully I've not messed up too much but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Registered
Can you move the filter from the old tank over? If not, do a water change ASAP! 50% is what I would recommend, but anything would be great!

Ammonia probably is out of the roof in that tank, which only plants/cycled filter/water changes can bring down.

Registered
If you have kept the filter sponges from your 10 gallon, without washing them then get the original filter in there, you can also buy an water additive which converts ammonia from a toxic state to a less toxic state. Otherwise like Aussiedude above suggests--all the advice points to doing water changes every day until the new filter stabilises. Do you have a friend with fish within begging distance, if so, see if you can send you Angels to him for a while till the filter matures ?. The fish gasping at the surface is the classic symptom of ammonia. And IMO two weeks is not enough to cycle a tank, I'm on week seven of my cycle and theres still ammonia and nitrates--also Nitrites above what they should be. Good Luck. Ps if you have a fish store near you, go and ask for help. maybe they coupld supply you with a filter of sorts with a mature medium even if it was just an air pump driven sponge filter it would help.

Another PS--use dechlorinator for the water changes, water which has not been treated and added to the tank, will inhibit filter bacteria growth and make the whole process last longer than it needs to.

Registered
I personally would never ask a pet store for mature media. Best bet is from your other tank - if it's not decommissioned - or from a fishy friend. Who knows what diseases and other nasties the filter media contains?!

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bilbo, each tank can take their own time to cycle. I remember setting up a 7g a few years ago and it was cycled within a week! That was without the introduction of established media, just a plain fishless cycle with a bit of fish food thrown in every day. A cycle can take anywhere from a week to a month or longer; like most things each aquarium will be different. So maybe the OP's 10g was cycled?

Registered
wonder what happened to the fish. It's been over 10 days

1 - 5 of 5 Posts