Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Top Fin 20g tall and it seems deep for the plants and the 17 watt fixture. Will a higher wattage fixture with the same bulb work better or am I over thinking it? I currently have Wisteria on the bottom and they grow but I am always trying to move the light to improve light to parts of the tank floor. Would higher watts help or maybe add another fixture, or just leave it alone.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really don't know what a t5 or t8 is. I bought the bulb (6500k) at Lowes and the fixture is the florescent fixture that came with the Top Fin 20g tall. (18'')

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
T8s will be wider then then T5s. If this is a stock lid I am betting that they are T8s then.

With out changing the whole fixture you can try Zoo med Ultra Sun Trichromatic Super Daylight 6500K Fluorescent Bulb or a Hagen Life-Glo bulbs. They will be a lill more money at the pet stores but they will have more intensity then the bulbs from the hardware store. I have to use the Zoo meds (all I can get locally out of the two choices) on my 29 gallon as the others are not strong enough to reach the bottom of the tank for the plants to have good growth.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
T8s will be wider then then T5s. If this is a stock lid I am betting that they are T8s then.

With out changing the whole fixture you can try Zoo med Ultra Sun Trichromatic Super Daylight 6500K Fluorescent Bulb or a Hagen Life-Glo bulbs. They will be a lill more money at the pet stores but they will have more intensity then the bulbs from the hardware store. I have to use the Zoo meds (all I can get locally out of the two choices) on my 29 gallon as the others are not strong enough to reach the bottom of the tank for the plants to have good growth.
Will do. Thank you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

I decided to respond because although I can't remember the source, this comment makes sense to me - if the plants grow all the way to the top of the water, they are not getting enough light. So, if your plants are doing that, then generally speaking, more light is needed. I understand you have a tall tank, and more watts is always a better idea (within reason), with the downside being slightly elevated electrical bills. You didn't mention or post any pictures about the quality of your plants. Are they big, small, falling apart, blackening, vibrant green etc?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts