Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i know now about the equipment im going to have to round up for a pressurised co2 injection, only issue is its going to take me some time to get it all togther. my question(s) are

1. is a DIY yeast setup going to be ok for a tempory use untill i get the automatic system?
2. Will the ph decrease form the co2 be ok for the fish? i know co2 lowers ph and this is how you figure out your co2 ppm and ive read that 30 ppm is reccomended. my ph now is around 8 and gh is like 120-140 or soemthing liek that

setup is

Lights will be dual 58watt t5 ho 6.7
Standard dimensions for a 48 inch long 55 gal
going to start with swords and anachris sp? i know the swords are mainly root feeders but pretty sure the anarchris are more from the water colum? only want to have co2 in the water to help discourage a algae outbreak but i also know i will need plants in there to use the avialabe nutrients and co2 so that algae does not become a problem even though ill probobly run into it untill i find my balance.

any help with any of this is greatly appriciated!!:-D

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
a DIY yeast Co2 system is often inconsistent unless you are very familiar with how they work. I would not do that.

I'm confused, I dont think Co2 is going to have much effect on what you want.

As to the fish, it's very possible your fish will have issues with the PH change, a rapid change will almost certainly will have ill effets.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a DIY yeast Co2 system is often inconsistent unless you are very familiar with how they work. I would not do that.

I'm confused, I dont think Co2 is going to have much effect on what you want.

As to the fish, it's very possible your fish will have issues with the PH change, a rapid change will almost certainly will have ill effets.
from what i understand of high light applications there is not sufficent co2 for the plants to use as in combo with the nutrients they are using, they can only grow when they have co2 and the nuts they need to be able to grow. so when they run out of co2 there is still plenty of nutrient and light for algae to use thu resulting in a algae bloom.

and with the ph change what is the best way to introduce co2 into a high ph tank without casuing stress on the fish? co2 and low ph go hand in hand as the co2 acts as a buffer (correct me if im wrong)\

as far as the yeast setup i know they are pretty inconsistent but i know exactly how to set one up and have everything i need laying around the garage. but is it advisable to use untill i can get the auto system together?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Ok so are you doing all this because you have high lighting?

Are you doing this because you want to have certain plants?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Ahh ok. Sorry I misread your post and wasn't sure what your goal was.

OK as to your current conditions you might want to get some jungle Val. Very fast grower so will consume lots of nutrients, and you can just cut the top as it grows to tall for your tank.

I wouldn't do Anacharis as it seems to be a "temperate" plant and doesn't often do well in a tropical tank.

Until you can get your Co2 system set up you will likely just have to shorten the amount of time the lights are on to help prevent an algae outbreak.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahh ok. Sorry I misread your post and wasn't sure what your goal was.

OK as to your current conditions you might want to get some jungle Val. Very fast grower so will consume lots of nutrients, and you can just cut the top as it grows to tall for your tank.

I wouldn't do Anacharis as it seems to be a "temperate" plant and doesn't often do well in a tropical tank.

Until you can get your Co2 system set up you will likely just have to shorten the amount of time the lights are on to help prevent an algae outbreak.
great! thanks for the advice

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Most systems have a valve you can adjust to control how much Co2 goes into your tank. It limits how many bubbles or drops per minute. (BPM/DPM)

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most systems have a valve you can adjust to control how much Co2 goes into your tank. It limits how many bubbles or drops per minute. (BPM/DPM)

ohhhhhh a bubble counter, yeah i plan on having one of those aswell. never heard it called by that name before

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
no a bubble counter and drop checker are two separate things. If you google or ebay CO2 drop checker it will tell you exactly what it is. Measuring CO2 using a GH and KH chart is an old and inaccurate method. A drop checker is glass or plastic and typically sticks to the side of the aquarium. It holds a small amount of water that is separated from the tank by a air pocket. The water used in a drop checker is 4dKH water you can either buy or mix up yourself using RO water and baking soda. To this you add 2-3 drops of pH reagent. The purpose of the drop checker is to indicate CO2 levels. It uses the 4dKH solution as a standard solution for accuracy. With the drop checker the solution inside it will turn green at about 30ppm and this indicates proper CO2 levels. The CO2 you inject into the tank will saturate the air and water in the drop checker in the same amount. The CO2 as we know causes a pH drop, which in turn is monitored by the pH reagent. If it goes too high it turns yellow, when its low it is blue.

Its been years since I have looked at a CO2 chart, so I do kinda forget the flaw behind them. I believe its just the method they use to attempt to calculate CO2 isn't very accurate. They allow for far too many anomalies. Such as if you have driftwood, it will lower pH slightly. Using a CO2 chart your suddenly assuming that all pH and KH change is due to CO2, which its typically not... If you are dosing any fertilizers that effect KH then they become really useless. With a drop checker the only pH change it picks up is from CO2 and the standard 4dKH water they use assures the color change is correct for the proper PPM of CO2.

As far as glassware for CO2 systems go I usually order mine off ebay from china or Malaysia as they are much cheaper, just takes at least 10 days to get them.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thank you so much mikaila for all your imput on my co2 system. as you can tell im totally new top the co2 thing but have been doing lowtech plant setups for a while. its the informative folks like you that keep my hat hung here. going into co2 is a bit overwhelming to me but when i know i have you guys at my disposal it gives me a peace at mind that i can get informed opinions and answers and not just a wimsy answer to get me to go away or to buy something like you would get at your typical fish store

1 - 14 of 14 Posts