Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one of my Molly had the typical square belly and was huge. I thought she was about ready to have babies so I put her in one of those breeder nets. she died. the only thing I can think of was she couldn't deal with the closed space of the net ?

should I have just let her have the babies in the tank ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello J...

Mollies are the most sensitive of all the livebearing fish to sudden changes in their environment. Moving fish is very stressful and rough handling of a small fish can be lethal. I keep a lot of livebearing fish and never move them. If you heavily plant the surface of their tank, they'll be more comfortable. It gives the females and fry a hiding place. When I see fry in the tank, I start feeding all the fish a little more and more often. If the adults aren't hungry, they'll generally leave the fry alone. The added food helps the fry to grow faster.

Mollies need more water changed and more often than most. I change half the water in my fish tanks every week. This keeps the water clean and chemistry steady. If you can commit to this routine, you'll have no tank problems.

M

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello J...

Mollies are the most sensitive of all the livebearing fish to sudden changes in their environment. Moving fish is very stressful and rough handling of a small fish can be lethal. I keep a lot of livebearing fish and never move them. If you heavily plant the surface of their tank, they'll be more comfortable. It gives the females and fry a hiding place. When I see fry in the tank, I start feeding all the fish a little more and more often. If the adults aren't hungry, they'll generally leave the fry alone. The added food helps the fry to grow faster.

Mollies need more water changed and more often than most. I change half the water in my fish tanks every week. This keeps the water clean and chemistry steady. If you can commit to this routine, you'll have no tank problems.

M
I do make weekly water changes. I think you are right about the stress on the fish. putting them in that enclosed area probably was not a good idea. my tank is pretty well planted so I think that having the fry take their chances is probably the best way to go. this not the first time this has happened to me. live and learn. thanks for your advise. I am considering making a Mollies only tank along with a few other species specific tanks
Jim

·
Registered
66 Posts
I, on the other hand, have had good success with pregnant mollies when I move them into my nursery. One thing about mollies is that they like some salt in the water. If you add salt and then do a lot of water changes, you diminish the salt level. I change about 25% of my water every 4 to 6 weeks and they are fine. This is a 40 gallon tank I'm talking about and my nursery is 5 gallons.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts