Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have noticed that the coloration of some fish intensify as they become acquainted to their new environments, or if they are very confident or excited. Perhaps the yellowish coloration is in fact the natural color of your molly. Many white animals (especially albinos) have a yellow or cream coloration or subtle splotches of a similar manner. A fish put Into a new tank will appear pallid at times. I had an angelfish that appeared to be all silver with a few light greyish bands running down the sides. After a few weeks I found that the bands were actually a stunning black. They would sometimes disappear almost altogether if the fish was particularly stressed out. It should be perfectly normal for fish to change color a bit depending on their mood and the conditions they are kept in just as our own faces become flushed when we are angry and become pale when under stress or ill. Now about the bullying. Maybe adding another molly would help the situation. Many mollies are constantly displaying and competing with one another. This is usually reserved for males but there are sometimes oddities. My female beta fish want to kill each other so I ended up having to separate them so that their battle wound could heal. One of them had a badly shredded fin but she has healed nicely. The problem having two mollies (like two male swordtails or a pair of tiger barbs) is If one severely out competes the other it could become stressful to the victim and maybe even dangerous. Maybe adding another target or competitor for your bully would take the stress off of your black molly. Its recommended to do the same thing with tiger barbs. they constantly harass one another and if there are enough individuals in a shoal no one fish will suffer.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.