Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I have a molly problem! 馃槀

We don鈥檛 know much about fish but have always had a 15-gallon tank with about 5-6 fish in it that have always done well and lived long lives. Our daughter is five and they鈥檙e her fish so we tend to just stuff that鈥檚 easy to take care of. We have had mollies in the past with no issues but we must have been lucky and only had females because we鈥檝e never had them breed before.

We woke up to about 30 babies maybe six weeks to a month ago. The photo above is some of them and the two females. We left them in the tank because we wanted to let nature take control and figured most would get eaten. Nope. Not a single one. They ALL survived.

And last night, we got 12 new babies. And I鈥檓 pretty sure the other female is pregnant again because she looks very fat. (orange one in photo above)

We have two adult females (photos above) and one adult male (which I didn鈥檛 know before they bred and now I sexed them and it鈥檚 clear which one is the daddy). From what I鈥檝e read, they鈥檒l just keep going unless we get the male out of there. We鈥檙e already planning to offer the babies to others before but we aren鈥檛 sure what to do with the lone male. It appears he wouldn鈥檛 do well alone in a separate tank or with other males as they would fight, but we can鈥檛 have them keep breeding and need to get him out! We need help!

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Registered
I have two tanks, one is cycling and one is a 5 gal (Soon to be upgraded)
Don't panic! That number of mollies is okay. Try removing the males and it will help your problem, however you should be okay at least until they are adults.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't panic! That number of mollies is okay. Try removing the males and it will help your problem, however you should be okay at least until they are adults.
Thank you! My concern is what to do with the male. If we remove him, can we keep him in his own small tank alone? I鈥檝e read articles that say they don鈥檛 do well alone or with other males so wasn鈥檛 sure what to do with him? Are there other breeds we could put with the male that he wouldn鈥檛 fight with that would be better than being alone?

Registered
I have two tanks, one is cycling and one is a 5 gal (Soon to be upgraded)
The best thing to do it to put him with 2-3 other male mollies. If for some reason you can't do that platies are a decent solution, although female platies can breed with male mollies so you would still have to get male platies.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, but often that doesn't happen.
Hi! I'm back! LOL So, after our fourth batch of babies (thankfully, there weren't very many in the later breedings), I finally got around to getting another first tank to separate the male. My plan was to keep him separate and start moving some of the male babies over once I was sure what sex they were...

Well, I set it up Saturday. Did the water conditioner. Then I checked the temp and pH 24 hours later and they were EXACTLY the same as the old tank, and I moved him, along with some water from the old tank.

And he died in less than 24 hours :cry::cry::cry:

My five year old is devastated because he was her favorite.

I don't know what I did wrong. It's the same brand/style/type of tank he was in before (just a 10 gallon instead of a 15 gallon) with the same filter, heater, everything. I checked the pH and temp and they were great. HOW DID I KILL HIM?

I am afraid to move any of the babies into that tank now because he died and I don't know what I did wrong? Also, since the babies seem to be doing okay in the other tank, is it best to just leave them in there with the two adult females until I can tell which ones are males and then remove the males?

We don't know anything about fish in this house and just wanted a relatively easy pet. Now I feel like a murderer. :cry::cry::cry:

Registered
Yes, but often that doesn't happen.
Hello, sorry to hear your male died. Did you happen to add water from his old tank to your new 10gal when you set it up? Did you acclimate him to his new tank? I鈥檓 thinking if you didn鈥檛 this may be why he died but not sure. But as you stated you use conditioner & made sure the water temp was the same as his old tank temp. It shouldn鈥檛 of kill him but could be the reason as there鈥檚 no biographical good stuff fish need in a newly set up tank & acclimating a fish is always a good idea. I would recommend that when you set up a new tank always use some water from an existing tank. This way the good biological stuff fish need will be in the water of the new tank & less issues will arise. Hope this was helpful info. If you did add some of the old water to your new tank & acclimated him. I don鈥檛 have a clue why he died.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts