Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put two 15W, 18", 18000K Aqua-Glo bulbs over my 55, and while the spectrum is great and makes everything look beautiful they seemed a little dim. So today I added a socket for a secondary 10W aquarium compact fluorescent in each hood. I don't have any pics unfortunately, but it was a simple mod. I had to cut away some of the inner plastic bulb housing to make room for the bulbs, and then just added $1.59 sockets from Home Depot to each one. I think I can squeeze two of the CF bulbs in there if I cut a bit more material out and move the transformer from where it's currently attached. I'm also working on adding LED moon lights (horray for $0.75 leftover Christmas lights!), I just need to figure out the correct resistance I need for each strand.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Sounds great.:thumbsup: Wish you had a pic though.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took a few pics today. Before I started, there was just white plastic where the secondary bulb is.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It levelled out the lights quite a bit. Before I had just the aqua-glos in there, and it was very blue looking. This made everything whiter, while still allowing the reds and blues in the fish to be really bright. I like the way it looks a lot now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts