Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if i'm mixing plants, ...

a leafy stolons or rhizome of some java fern, crypt or sword (as examples)
and a fast growing stem of (nothing coming to mind now) something that herbivores would love.

would herbivores eat whatever they found first, or would they have a tendancy to eat the stem plant growing above the leafy non-stem plant first ?

i hope that made sense.

---

example:

if i have java fern growing densely enough with plenty of Limnophila growing through the java fern

... would florida flagfish eat the stuff above the java fern first, or whatever they felt like first ?

---

it would be nice if they ate the stuff ontop first, to give everything below the surface of the java fern plenty of time to recover, or would flagfish eat everything down to the base, without discrimination ? (allowing them to decimate by means of killing various stems of limnophila till it could not recover, ... eventually eating everything in the tank as patches could not recover.

i hope that was clear enough to understand

·
Registered
31 Posts
I believe that it depends on the fish and trial and error would work best in this situation. Yes, it would benefit you to have fast growing plants to provide a steady supply, but you can't know for sure until you try it. Hope I helped =)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts