Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new to the hobby and the forum as well. I've done some research before setting up my aquarium and most instruction focuses on fighting algae which is not a big concern for me at the moment. However, I can tell from the color of the leaves that some plants aren't happy with this new home. It has been a week after the planting and the leaves of my monte carlo seem to melt. I just checked the water quality and found that the total alkalinity, carbonate and pH are kinda below the recommendation range, and I wonder if this caused the melting. Besides, there are some black spots on the leaves of some red stem plants (not exactly sure of the species). The symptoms are shown below.

Plant Plant community Terrestrial plant Grass Groundcover

Flower Plant Leaf Botany Terrestrial plant

Drinkware Cup Fluid Finger Liquid

It's a 37 gal tank with CO2 injection and ~9hr/day LED lighting. I would appreciate any help to tackle with the problem!!

Attachments

·
Registered
I have two tanks, one is cycling and one is a 5 gal (Soon to be upgraded)
430 Posts
I have the same test kit! I would add carbonate booster, a tiny bit of baking soda for the alkalinity, and some bacteria supplement that should help with the Ph.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the same test kit! I would add carbonate booster, a tiny bit of baking soda for the alkalinity, and some bacteria supplement that should help with the Ph.
Thank you for the advice! I used Seachem Alkaline buffer which seems to increase hardness, alkalinity, carbonate and pH at the same time, as shown by the test strip. I wonder how long it takes for the plant to bounce back and tell me whether they like the new water. It's a bit annoying that these conditioning products never says what chemicals they contain, which is helpful to maintain a good water quality.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts