Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 50 Gallon betta sorority tank which until recently had no problems but my girls are dying off quickly. I started with about 18 girls.

Everyone was healthy and active, eating well without any nips or tares in their fins.
Went to sleep and woke up the next day to 7 dead fish,
Now as the last week has gone on I have woken up to at least one dead girl everyday.

At this point all of the girls have died. Plus 3 cardinal tetras.

Water tests fine, the tank is fully planted, I just got co2 but it isn't running, I do weekly 25% water changes....

I thought maybe bacteria but the medication didn't seem to help...

The only symtoms I saw were red bellies until yesterday morning when I lost the last two who pineconed, one looks like she had some eye cloud and the other had what I normally would assume is parasite poop (long white and stringy looking).

I have my inverts and 3 cardial tetras left. But I need to find out whats wrong with the tank and fix it still as I would like to restart the sorority.

As of this morning the paramaters are Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia all 0, PH 7, KH 40, GH 30.

I'm at a loss right now. Ally other tanks are perfectly healthy.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
So you lost all 18 bettas?? Man that's terrible, sorry to hear that. And your inverts are fine? Doesn't appear to be a water quality issue. So what's that leave us with.... disease and stress, which usually go hand in hand.

Dianna walsted (spelling?) just wrote and published a lengthy article about how fish TB is responsible for the majority of our unexplained deaths. I would highly recommend checking into what she has to say, because it sounds to me like it might fit the bill.

I often write off "sorority" deaths to the accumulated stress of being kept in such a fashion, but that's only when there is a slow die off. For as many fish as you lost, there's definitely something else at work here....though they may not be completely unrelated.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
Ugh! So sorry to hear this, it is heartbreaking. It sure sounds like some kind of internal parasite based on the symptoms. Especially the long stringy poo from all fish. My guess is that the red bellies were a sign of internal hemorrhaging as well.

Hopefully you can get your hands on something fairly quickly for the other fish. One of the more common brand name meds that might be available at your LFS would be Jungle Labs. Try to get your hands on some JL Parasite Clear.
Ingredients: Praziquantel, Diflubenzuron, Metronidazole, Acriflavine.

If your LFS doesn't have Jungle Labs, maybe they can help you out with whatever they carry with some or all of those ingredients.

Good luck and I hope you don't lose any more fish :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you lost all 18 bettas?? Man that's terrible, sorry to hear that. And your inverts are fine? Doesn't appear to be a water quality issue. So what's that leave us with.... disease and stress, which usually go hand in hand.

Dianna walsted (spelling?) just wrote and published a lengthy article about how fish TB is responsible for the majority of our unexplained deaths. I would highly recommend checking into what she has to say, because it sounds to me like it might fit the bill.

I often write off "sorority" deaths to the accumulated stress of being kept in such a fashion, but that's only when there is a slow die off. For as many fish as you lost, there's definitely something else at work here....though they may not be completely unrelated.
Walstad. But yeah I've read it. I'm just not sure what to do at this point.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ugh! So sorry to hear this, it is heartbreaking. It sure sounds like some kind of internal parasite based on the symptoms. Especially the long stringy poo from all fish. My guess is that the red bellies were a sign of internal hemorrhaging as well.

Hopefully you can get your hands on something fairly quickly for the other fish. One of the more common brand name meds that might be available at your LFS would be Jungle Labs. Try to get your hands on some JL Parasite Clear.
Ingredients: Praziquantel, Diflubenzuron, Metronidazole, Acriflavine.

If your LFS doesn't have Jungle Labs, maybe they can help you out with whatever they carry with some or all of those ingredients.

Good luck and I hope you don't lose any more fish :(
I only have 3 cardinals and my inverts left. the Cardinals I do still have seem fine so I'm confused.
I dosed with Prazipro this morning because it's what I keep on hand but I can look for some of the Jungle Labs stuff too. Honestly I would usually just scrap everything and bleach the tank properly but I cant afford to do that now.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I think if I were in your situation I would move the remaining fish to a quarantine tank for treatment, and to get them out of the main tank. If it's parasites, then a period of time without any hosts should take care of the problem. Theoretically. How long? I do not know. A month? 2 to be sure? Were it me, I would wait a month and then try restocking. If you have a quarantine tank, I think it's good practice to use it. I treat my new fish for parasites while they spend their month in quarantine, regardless. They get a heat treatment first and then prazipro. I know a lot of people do well without all the extra precautions I take, but it only takes one fish to kill them all.....

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing, doesn't go away"

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 50 Gallon betta sorority tank which until recently had no problems but my girls are dying off quickly. I started with about 18 girls.

Everyone was healthy and active, eating well without any nips or tares in their fins.
Went to sleep and woke up the next day to 7 dead fish,
Now as the last week has gone on I have woken up to at least one dead girl everyday.

At this point all of the girls have died. Plus 3 cardinal tetras.

Water tests fine, the tank is fully planted, I just got co2 but it isn't running, I do weekly 25% water changes....

I thought maybe bacteria but the medication didn't seem to help...

The only symtoms I saw were red bellies until yesterday morning when I lost the last two who pineconed, one looks like she had some eye cloud and the other had what I normally would assume is parasite poop (long white and stringy looking).

I have my inverts and 3 cardial tetras left. But I need to find out whats wrong with the tank and fix it still as I would like to restart the sorority.

As of this morning the paramaters are Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia all 0, PH 7, KH 40, GH 30.

I'm at a loss right now. Ally other tanks are perfectly healthy.
Sorry to hear about your loss. I know how distressing fish diseases can be.

Since your other tanks are doing fine, I suspect that it is a disease brought into this tank, probably by adding new fish.

My bet is that it is mycobacteriosis (MB) or "Fish TB" brought in by the Bettas who were diseased but not yet showing symptoms. Half of all unexplained deaths are due to mycobacteriosis, and this disease is very common in the hobby. The bacteria responsible (Mycobacterium species) infected the viscera, intestine, eye, etc of your Bettas causing the big variation in symptoms. The remaining Cardinals will probably die at some point. I don't think there's much you can do to save them.

What to do? I would be very careful that you don't spread whatever is in this tank to other tanks. And if it is MB, I would be very careful that YOU don't get infected.

My article (15 page PDF) on mycobacteriosis is at: http://dianawalstad.com It has some ideas of what to do for this tank. Unless you get a firm diagnosis for some other disease, you may need to tear this tank down. That's because the Mycobacterium responsible have probably established themselves in biofilms now throughout the tank.

I would think long and hard about how this disease got into this tank in the first place. That way, you can prevent it from happening again. Count yourself lucky that the disease did not spread to your other tanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts